[Solved] Home inventory for insurance purposes

Using them, Making them, Finding them
alan h

[Solved] Home inventory for insurance purposes

Post by alan h »

Hello all. A friend has asked me to document his toy tractor collection for insurance purposes. The template needs to include a detailed description, valuation and at least 2 photos of each piece. I have tried searching through the templates and don't immediately see anything that will suit my needs. There are several hundred items that need to be inventoried. Could be an inventory or a catalog template as long as photos can be attached to each entry.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] Suggestions provided but no response from alan h -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.15 Windows 10 Home on PC
MrProgrammer

Re: Home inventory for insurance purposes

Post by MrProgrammer »

alan h wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:25 pm The template needs to include a detailed description, valuation and at least 2 photos of each piece.
OpenOffice is not a good choice for this project because it is not designed to manage photos.
Search found 45 matches: photo album
[Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images

You could create a 4-column Writer table for Description, Valuation, Photo1, Photo2. File → Insert → Picture can put the images in the right two columns. If you have six photos for a tractor, just use three table rows. But the Writer document with the embedded images will quickly grow very large, then be slow and unstable. You could use four columns in a spreadsheet, but it is impractical to put images in a spreadsheet. A database, accessed through Base, could store and display the photos, but learning how to design a database will be a long project. I do not offer to help with that, though others might if you post in the Base forum.

You can use a Writer table or a spreadsheet if you put links to the photos, not the photos themselves, in the document. The photos would be stored by your operating system in a folder or folders. Read about hyperlinks in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about hyperlinks in the forum. But the document will not show the photos, just the links. To see the photos you need to click on the links, and the photos open in whatever application your system uses for photos, for example, Preview on MacOS.

alan h wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:25 pm There are several hundred items that need to be inventoried.
Personally, I would do this with the MacOS photo application, and store the photos there. I can group the photos into albums, one for each item, and add captions to them, the description and valuation. I presume your operating system also includes a photo application. If not, there are web-based applications like Microsoft Photos or Google Photos that you could use. It is possible that your friend's insurance provider offers tools to customers that they could use to document their inventory.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).