[Solved] Column A missing in XLS file

Discuss the spreadsheet application
HowardJ

[Solved] Column A missing in XLS file

Post by HowardJ »

I've had this problem before, but forgotten how to solve it.

I have a spreadsheet that I share with some unenlightened users of something called windows in .xls format. It's come back with column A missing (hidden) and I can't work out how to get it back.

Can anyone remind me?

Edit: Changed subject, was Missing Column A 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by RoryOF on Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
AOO 4.1.14
on various machines running PCLinuxOS (KDE desktop). It all began with StarOffice 5.2 - I've still got the disk!
Hagar Delest

Re: Missing Column A

Post by Hagar Delest »

Select the whole B column by clicking its header and still selecting, move left as to select the hidden A column. It won't hint that anything in addition to the B column has been selected but nonetheless, right click the column header and then Show columns.

Alternatively, you can select the top left corner of the rows and cols headers, then right click in the columns headers and show columns. It will show any hidden column of the whole sheet.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
cwolan

Re: Missing Column A

Post by cwolan »

Hagar Delest wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:04 pm Select the whole B column by clicking its header and still selecting, move left as to select the hidden A column. It won't hint that anything in addition to the B column has been selected but nonetheless, right click the column header and then Show columns.
I presume that by "It won't hint that anything in addition to the B column has been selected" you mean enlarged selection is not shown. On the other hand, the Name Box displays the reference including the hidden A column.

Another, perhaps less convient method is to enter e.g. "A1" in the Name Box, and choose Format ⟶ Column ⟶ Show
OpenOffice 1.1.5 – 4.1.15
LibreOffice 3.3.0.4 – 7.6.6
Windows 7,10,11 64-bit
HowardJ

Re: Column A missing in XLS file SOLVED

Post by HowardJ »

Thanks Guys.
AOO 4.1.14
on various machines running PCLinuxOS (KDE desktop). It all began with StarOffice 5.2 - I've still got the disk!