Widen Save As file name field

Discuss the word processor
wdc

Widen Save As file name field

Post by wdc »

I am afraid I have forgotten how to widen the slot holding the name of the OOW file to be saved, to make it easier to see the assigned name. (I asked this question years ago and learned how to fix the problem; but the problem has recurred; and I don't recall the fix.) Thank you. .....wdc
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited topic's subject to add "Save As"
OpenOffice 4.1.11 for Windows in English/ W11.1 (with Chrome)
RoryOF

Re: How to broaden the window that displays the name of the document to be saved in Open ffice Writee

Post by RoryOF »

With your mouse, grab a side of the Save As window and pull; the file entry box will widen appropriately.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
wdc

Re: Widen Save As file name field

Post by wdc »

RoryOF: Grabbing the left side of the SAVE AS slot (using the left-hand mouse key) and pulling does not work for me. Neither does grabbing the right-hand side of the SAVE AS slot. I can't imagine what I am doing wrong!

My SAVE AS slot is only about 60% of the width of the bar immediately below it. As a result, I am blind as to what I am saving. It does not prevent me from using OOW, but it is annoying. If anyone can spot what I am foolishly doing wrong, I would appreciate hearing from you. ....wdc
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Not the Save As slot, but the Save As Window.
wdc

Post by wdc »

Say again please: where do I grab the SAVE AS window?

I notice that if I click the right-side of the SAVE AS slot, I get a listing of file names, including at the top, the name of the current file (that is obscured in the too-narrow slot. So I now have a solution to my "being blinded" by the too narrow slot.

Still I would like to know why that slot narrowed on me. Is it possible, I wonder, whether my version of OOW (that must be at least 15 years old (I don't recall ever updating it) needs to be updated. ....wdc
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

Hello,

It took me ten minutes to understand your concern.

Ok: by combining Shift+Ctrl+S you open the file manager window first. Then if you point at the top bar besides the central filename slot by right clicking, a menu will open letting you select the option that allows you to resize the file manager window.

That's it.

Regards

Nick
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

wdc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:06 pm Say again please: where do I grab the SAVE AS window?
Usually, any dialog can be resized by grabbing the bottom-right corner (or top left corner). The mouse pointer should change shape when you hover that precise area. Then click and extend the dialog area.

Information windows cannot be resized but any window asking for user input should be resizable.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
wdc

Post by wdc »

David: Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, I cannot understand your message; it is way above me. wdc
wdc

Post by wdc »

All who have responded to my question about widening the File Name slot on the OOW Save As screen: Thank you all for your help.

I am , though, overwhelmed and I am having trouble following the discussion. Much of it is above me. Among other complications, I seem to have unknowingly turned on an audio program that reads out my posting!

1. Can someone tell me how to stop that audio response?

2. I <suspect> that my problem may be that I have an outdated version of OOW. I have not updated it in some 15 years. How do I see what version I am working with?

.... wdc
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Talking computer - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 72f109bdb1. If that doesn't help use google to search for e.g. text to speech. The subject is outside the scope of this site which is for AOO problems, not wdc's personal computer problem solving.

AOO version -go to the Help menu item and select About
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Don't you see the "embossed" area in the bottom right corner of the dialog???
Save.png
Save.png (8.01 KiB) Viewed 826 times
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On my (Linux) computers, it is sufficient to position the cursor over a side or other edge of the window; when it turns into an arrow against a bar, similar to this |<-- then press mouse button and pull to widen the underlying window.

It may be easier, as Hagar says, to use a corner, and pull left or right to enlarge or reduce. A diagonal pull will increase the window in both dimensions, but the Save As dialog box is only required to be widened, so a horizontal pull is all that is needed.

There may be - perhaps dependent on the operating system - a small icon in top right of the Save As window, just to the left of the X for quick closure of a window. Clicking on that small icon should enlarge the Save As window to full screen; clicking on that same icon on the enlarged Save As window will reduce it to normal size. I do not see such an icon in Hagar's Window's screenshot, but there is certainly one on my linux system.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Have another try at illustration:

Diagonal Pointer.png
Diagonal Pointer.png (16.93 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

wdc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:51 pm I am afraid I have forgotten how to widen the slot holding the name of the OOW file to be saved...
The "slot" where the file name is entered is usually called a "box" because it is a combo box. A combo box is a combination of an editable box and a drop-down list. On the Save As dialog, the drop-down list is the same as the recent documents list.

Regarding the width of the File Name box, perhaps you have enabled the setting to use the OpenOffice dialogs instead of the Windows dialogs. The Save button on the OpenOffice dialog is on the same line as the File Name box, but it is below the File Name box on the Windows dialog. Check the setting in Tools > Options > OpenOffice > General > Open/Save dialogs.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04