[Solved] Template for check book register

Discuss the spreadsheet application
kshansen

[Solved] Template for check book register

Post by kshansen »

I'm not real computer savvy but have used them since Windows 3.0.

I was wondering if there is what I think would be called a templet for OpenOffice that works like a check book register.
I have been using Microsoft Money 2003 for years but am thinking it might not work much longer and besides it has more features than I need. I just need something to enter the normal checkbook info like check numbers who it was for or from and keep a running total.

It would be fantastic if I could import the info from MS Money 2003.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] Links provided for kshansen to choose a suitable template -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.8 Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Template for check book register

Post by Hagar Delest »

See for example: Hunting a checking account template.

Not interested in dedicated applications? Grisbi is rather good: https://en.grisbi.org/.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

To the attention of Mr. K.S. Hansen

Goodday Sir,

If it is a matter of numbers, may I say, a simple spreadsheet would do.

Since you are a vintage user, you may know that numbers are portable to several platforms in csv format too.

May I remember you that this domain is dedicated to Open Office, an open source facility instead.

With very best regards

Nick
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Nick N, wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:49 pm May I remember you that this domain is dedicated to Open Office, an open source facility instead.
So what?
Many use a spreadsheet to do such activities. Not the best tool but if it is enough for them, so be it.

Note: this forum is not about Open Office but OpenOffice (and its derivatives by the way). There is a difference.
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

Hi Hagar,

Thanks for pinpointing the difference between freeware and shareware.

Indeed either AOO or LO are open to developers, that could customize applications, but within the foundation.

Have a nice day

Nick
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

kshansen wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:07 pm I was wondering if there is what I think would be called a templet for OpenOffice that works like a check book register.
Search for "check" found seven templates

Instead of using OpenOffice, you could consider some of the many personal finance software projects that are available. Some are free/open source software. Yes, you will need to spend some time to find one that meets your needs, but you can then avoid customizing your own spreadsheet. The accounting software will provide you far more features than any spreadsheet you could develop. I believe that GnuCash is fairly easy to use.

Hagar Delest wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:45 pm Not interested in dedicated applications? Grisbi is rather good: https://en.grisbi.org/.
The documentation that I found is in the French language.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Nick N, wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:30 pm Thanks for pinpointing the difference between freeware and shareware.
No. I mean that "Open Office" is a trademark held by Open Office Automatisering in Benelux since 1999 (see the AOO wikipedia page). If you use names, use the good ones, that is OpenOffice without any space.
MrProgrammer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:14 pm The documentation that I found is in the French language.
Indeed, only the first sections of the documentation are in English. Hadn't seen that.
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

Mr. Delest wrote:
No. I mean that "Open Office" is a trademark held by Open Office Automatisering in Benelux since 1999 (see the AOO wikipedia page). If you use names, use the good ones, that is OpenOffice without any space.
Xcuse me, to start the fight was not my intention. Nevertheless I do not subscribe to people who try to make money that way.

Regards

Nick
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you care to read the Wikipedia page Hagar referred to, you'll see that the Open Office trademark was around in 1999; the original Openoffice.org didn't appear until 2000, so there is no case the Open Office is impinging on Apache OpenOffice or any of the predecessors.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers