When will LibreOffice catch up with OpenOffice updates?

Talk about anything at all....
gremlinkurst
Banned

When will LibreOffice catch up with OpenOffice updates?

Post by gremlinkurst »

I keep all of my software updated. During the last few days, I keep getting "outdated format" warnings. If I save a document in ODT format using LibreOffice, that's what happens when I open it with OpenOffice. Savie it using OpenOffice, of course, I don't get that warning.

Currently, LibreOffice is more versatile regarding standard Microsoft formats and extensions, but they are behind the times with Apache OpenOffice...which is significantly less versatile when working with Microsoft-formatted documents.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 is installed on the latest up-to-date version of Microsoft's Windows 11
robleyd

Re: When Will LibreOffice Catch Up with OpenOffice Updates?

Post by robleyd »

Your specific problem is that by default LibreOffice now saves documents in Open Document Format Ver 1.3 where OpenOffice still saves as 1.2.

You can avoid this particular warning message by changing the default ODF Format version in Tools | Options | Load/Save | General.

There was discussion last month on the dev mailing list about working towards ODF 1.3.

It seems unlikely that OpenOffice is going to keep pace with LibreOffice.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

robleyd wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:32 am ...
It seems unlikely that OpenOffice is going to keep pace with LibreOffice.
Quite true even using ODF 1.3, seems to need a lot of work:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/plu ... /287607470
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

gremlinkurst wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:24 am When Will LibreOffice Catch Up with OpenOffice Updates?
I have to admit that made my day.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
gremlinkurst
Banned

Re: When will LibreOffice catch up with OpenOffice updates?

Post by gremlinkurst »

I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding why the latest update of OpenOffice uses ODF format 1.2 while LibreOffice uses 1.3. Is ODF format 1.3 not stable or insufficiently developed? I'm given to understand that I may have gotten it backwards regarding who is lagging behind whom, but still question whether or not ODF format 1.3 isn't still slightly screwed up, given how it doesn't render full justification properly, for example, allowing the closing quote of a sentence to occupy the last line of a paragraph all by itself; the kerning is screwed up—that shouldn't happen. For that reason I'm going to insruct LibreOffice to use the format that DOESN'T get that detail wrong, ODF format 1.2...or to see if it's the office suite itself at fault, not the format used. I'm going to have to experiment with both office applications to see what is what.

Thank you all for your assistance.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 is installed on the latest up-to-date version of Microsoft's Windows 11
gremlinkurst
Banned

Post by gremlinkurst »

Hagar Delest wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:19 am
gremlinkurst wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:24 am When Will LibreOffice Catch Up with OpenOffice Updates?
I have to admit that made my day.
Seeing as how I might have had the wrong idea about that, I can understand well your amusement. However, I'm currently experiencing another problem with LibreOffice not rendering full justification properly, allowing the last line of a paragraph to consist of a single character, which simply shouldn't happen; the last character in a paragraph should not be a solitary punctuation character—it's ugly and unsettling. Anyway, I'm going to experiment with both suites' ODF formats so I can eliminate the error message and aesthetically displeasing kerning.

LibreOffice still handles XLSX documents better than OpenOffice, though, so I'm pleased with that.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In your thread on broken justification, you were asked to upload a sample file (.odt format) that the problem might be examined. You should please do that soonest.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

gremlinkurst wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:54 pm I'm currently experiencing another problem with LibreOffice not rendering full justification properly, allowing the last line of a paragraph to consist of a single character
I'm very well aware of that. But I'm pretty sure that the problem is not with the file format but merely with your paragraph.
If you don't want to upload the excerpt of your file, post at least a screenshot with the formatting characters displayed, it should be quite instructive.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
gremlinkurst
Banned

Post by gremlinkurst »

Hagar Delest wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:02 am
gremlinkurst wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:54 pm I'm currently experiencing another problem with LibreOffice not rendering full justification properly, allowing the last line of a paragraph to consist of a single character
I'm very well aware of that. But I'm pretty sure that the problem is not with the file format but merely with your paragraph.
If you don't want to upload the excerpt of your file, post at least a screenshot with the formatting characters displayed, it should be quite instructive.
The problem is with my paragraph? Are you out of your cotton-picking mind? What kind of moron are you? I'm a published writer with over fifty years of experience, and not only did I score 100% on my SAT Verbal and TSWE, but I've been using office suites, mastering operating systems, writing programs and documenting them, but I've forgotten more about this crap than you'll ever learn! Who the Hell do you think you are?

Color me bored with your bullcrap. I will not be checking back in. Your opinion is worthless in terms of actually constructive criticism. Here's a clue before I sign off, bro: Don't assume to know more about people than you actually do. It's friggin' stupid. Goddamned idiot.
gremlinkurst
Banned

Post by gremlinkurst »

Clearly, I don't belong here. Yer all a bunch a fuckin' morons.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

gremlinkurst wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:00 am Clearly, I don't belong here.
You are right; I've fixed that.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The distinctive Username provokes the thought that an internet search might be of use: immediately I found these threads:

https://www.deviantart.com/gremlinkurst/about

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... xtensions/

[Later] There are others, even more extreme.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS