[Solved] Text Next to Picture

Discuss the word processor
Steve5

[Solved] Text Next to Picture

Post by Steve5 »

I have a picture on the left side of the page. There's plenty of room to add text to the right of it (the right half of the page) but it's not letting me. I can't get the cursor there. So I tried writing in the text first, but when I added the picture, the text moved down below it.

And when I try and drag the text with the backspace to move it up, it won't go back up there.

There is a word on the right side that did not move because it's above the picture. When I tried to center that to the page, it "centered" that word to the right side (right half) of the page. Why?

How do I get the text next to the picture? And center that word to the page, not the right half of the page?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Libre Office 6.4.7.2, Open Office 4.1.10, Windows (ugh) 10
Nick N,

Re: Text Next to Picture

Post by Nick N, »

Hi Steve,

Writer allows you to position your picture wherever in the page (Anchor to character).

Please be so kind to take a look here.

Regards

Nick
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Steve5 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:07 pm How do I get the text next to the picture?
A quick answer to part of your problem. In Writer look up "Wrap" in the help file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

I highlighted the text, went to Format - Wrap and the commands in that window are whited out, can't click on them.

I don't get it. The few times I put pictures in a document, I was able to put the cursor to the left of it and "push" the picture with the space bar. Or, go to the right of it, hit the backspace to delete it. The picture was treated like text. But I can't do that now, I can't get the cursor to the left or the right and can only drag the picture where I want with the mouse.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Change the wrap of the image. The text, as you have seen, has no wrap.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I selected the image, then /Format /Wrap and Page Wrap.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Steve5 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:02 pm I highlighted the text, went to Format - Wrap and the commands in that window are whited ou...
Wrap is a property of the picture, not the text. If you want text to wrap around a picture, select the picture then select Format > Wrap.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

@ Steve

Hi,

If there's something you do not understand somehow, Please post it!

Try to make yourself more clear.

Thanks

Nick
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Steve5 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:02 pm I highlighted the text, went to Format - Wrap and the commands in that window are whited out, can't click on them.

I don't get it. The few times I put pictures in a document, I was able to put the cursor to the left of it and "push" the picture with the space bar. Or, go to the right of it, hit the backspace to delete it. The picture was treated like text. But I can't do that now, I can't get the cursor to the left or the right and can only drag the picture where I want with the mouse.
The picture was "treated like text" because it was anchored "As Character". There are no text wrapping options for pictures anchored "As Character". If you can drag the picture, then it is anchored "To Page, "To Paragraph", or "To Character" and text wrapping options should be available for the picture.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

I used the wrap, somehow, and got it to work.

Thanks.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Think of it this way: you must select the picture, as the text is wrapping about that. It is the defined object about which the wrapping is to take place. You are not wrapping the picture about the text.
Steve5

Re: [Solved] Text Next to Picture

Post by Steve5 »

I never had this issue before. Or maybe I never tried to type in text to the side of a picture.