[Solved] Headers on all pages but first

Discuss the word processor
Darren N

[Solved] Headers on all pages but first

Post by Darren N »

How do I change a document so the header is on all the pages except for the first page?

I just need the first-page header to have no text in it.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
keme
Volunteer

Re: How do I have headers on all pages but page 1?

Post by keme »

The page header is a property of the page style.

Typically, you would select the "first page" page style. This page style has a setting to make next page use the "Default" page style. This way, the first page will have header/footer settings/content which are independent from the following pages.

In some cases, changes can appear rather dramatic when you alter page style. Make sure you have an "untouched" backup before you make your alterations. The solution is not always so simple. If you find that adjusting page styles messes up your document, you may benefit from posting a sample document here (first few pages or so) with a description of the discord. (What did you expect, and what happened?) Someone will surely look at it.

For more advanced control of layout, consider creating your own styles. For a book, it is not uncommon to have separate page styles for front matter, chapter start, and end matter.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is also a dedicated option (to be unchecked) in the header properties (at least in LibreOffice):
header.png
header.png (14.97 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Darren N

Post by Darren N »

Hagar Delest wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:05 pm There is also a dedicated option (to be unchecked) in the header properties (at least in LibreOffice):

header.png

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
Unfortunately there is nothing like this in OpenOffice. :/
Darren N

Post by Darren N »

keme wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:28 am The page header is a property of the page style.

Typically, you would select the "first page" page style. This page style has a setting to make next page use the "Default" page style. This way, the first page will have header/footer settings/content which are independent from the following pages.
Thank you. Can you post a link or screen cap showing me where the "first page" page style is?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Open the Style window - Format | Styles and Formatting ( or F11) and choose the Pages icon, fourth from left where the mouse pointer is in the image below.
fpstyle.png
fpstyle.png (13.95 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers