[Dropped] LibreOffice full justification is broken

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
gremlinkurst
Banned

[Dropped] LibreOffice full justification is broken

Post by gremlinkurst »

These guys evidently don't know what the entire purpose of full justification is. I opened an OpenOffice ODT document and cringed when I saw that the closed parentheses of one sentence was occupying a line all by itself at the end of a paragraph, like this:

...and then the man said, "Sorry, buddy—all sales are final.
"

What the frick? I tried to figure out how to fix it, but consarn me if I can't. LibreOffice works great with spreadsheets, but they don't know anything about formatting enriched text documents. I couldn't even figure out how to change the justification parameters; it doesn't seem very intuitive, and I've been using programs like this for nearly forty years.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dropped: No attachment provided when requested -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 is installed on the latest up-to-date version of Microsoft's Windows 11
robleyd

Re: LibreOffice's Full Justification is Broken

Post by robleyd »

Perhaps you could upload a sample file that demonstrates the issue so someone can try and offer a solution.

Also, can you tell the version of LibreOffice that you are using?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

gremlinkurst wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:18 am I couldn't even figure out how to change the justification parameters; it doesn't seem very intuitive, and I've been using programs like this for nearly forty years.
Can you give more details about that? Between MS Word (top) and Writer (bottom), there is hardly a difference:
Alignemnt.png
Alignemnt.png (4.45 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Frequently a rogue linewrap such as illustrated is caused by a space inserted between the full stop and the final quote character. Without an exact sample we cannot judge for definite.

The OP says "formatting enriched text documents": better to work in an editor's native file formats. It is frequently necessary to make fine formatting adjustments on a case by case basis when changing across file formats.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Ummm ...
  • Denigrating message (twice insisting that "These guys/they [...] don't know [...]")
  • Abundance of expletives (of sorts) and other loaded language ("what the frick", "cringed", "consarn me")
  • Emphasizing own skills/experience ( "[...] I've been using programs like this for nearly forty years.")
  • Minimal supply of actual info.
I don't know about appearance or gait, but today our gremlinkurst certainly quacks like a duck troll.

FWIW, I can easily reproduce the issue. Insert a space between period and quote characters, as RoryOF mentioned. Without this space, I am unable to make the quote character "orphaned" as indicated by OP.

The way I learned formal writing, the quote should be "compact" (not including leading/trailing whitespace). If the space is - for some reason - required within the quote, you should use a non-breaking space to defeat the quote-wrap. (I recognize that there are situations where it makes sense to quote with leading/trailing whitespace.)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Agreed. It nonetheless deserves answers at least to show those who could find this topic later that there is a lot of nonsense and facts just demonstrate that plainly.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Also, if the wrapped quotation is a "leading quotation mark", then that might possibly be wrongly wrapped by OO/LO (not tried - mentioned as a possibility).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gremlinkurst
Banned

Post by gremlinkurst »

Hagar Delest wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:27 am
gremlinkurst wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:18 am I couldn't even figure out how to change the justification parameters; it doesn't seem very intuitive, and I've been using programs like this for nearly forty years.
Can you give more details about that? Between MS Word (top) and Writer (bottom), there is hardly a difference:
Alignemnt.png
I believe I've already given enough information. The close quote of a sentence should not be on a trailing line all by itself. It's clearly broken. The close quote should be either on the end of the sentence with full justification, or if it needs to wrap the last word to a final line, at the end of that final word, not standing as a single punctuation character all on its lonesome.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 is installed on the latest up-to-date version of Microsoft's Windows 11
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

gremlinkurst wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:44 am I believe I've already given enough information.
The information given is only a description of the problem. That is not adequate to analyze the problem and determine if it is a bug or something in the document itself.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

gremlinkurst wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:44 am I believe I've already given enough information.
I was not referring to your close quote issue (please mind the quote I used). I was referring to your broad comment about you not figuring out how to change the justification parameters. I provided a screenshot showing that it is exactly the same UI between MS Word and Writer.
So I wonder what kind of programs you have been using during those forty years. Note that there was no such control 40 years ago when WYSIWYG applications were not yet available...
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I believe you haven't, as did robleyd, it seems:
robleyd wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:26 am Perhaps you could upload a sample file that demonstrates the issue so someone can try and offer a solution.

Also, can you tell the version of LibreOffice that you are using?
After one week of not supplying the information as suggested, you proceed to tell us again how it should work. I am sad to say, but your quack is unchanged. I'm done here.