[Solved] Set currency for row in multi-currency sheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
neil-uk

[Solved] Set currency for row in multi-currency sheet

Post by neil-uk »

Hi Guys,

I am working on a Multi-Currency spreadsheet, and for the purpose of display/visibility it would be super useful to have something dynamic on each line when its a different currency.

What I mean by this, is if I have A1 which says "£" then lines B1, C1, etc would display in £1.00 - whether data input, or formula.

The same would apply if A2 was "$" then B1, C1, etc would display in $1.00.

I appreciate that this is technically to do with cell formatting/options than a formula itself - but wondered if it was possible?

Thanks!
Neil

Edit: Changed subject, was Currency based on Formula question 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4
robleyd

Re: Currency based on Formula question

Post by robleyd »

That sounds like a suitable application for conditional formatting. For more information search HELP -F1 - for conditional formatting. You might also find this article helpful.

Your signature says "NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4'; hopefully you have upgraded from that ancient combination and might consider updating your signature to reflect your current software and operating system.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

Hey there,

May I salute you?

If you meant that each row bears its own currency, all you have to do is:

- select whole row
- right click
- select cell format
- select currency

Post you a sheet attached hereto.

Regards

Nick
Attachments
Currency per row.ods
(8.87 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

neil-uk wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:17 am NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4
I suspect you don't really use a version of MacOS that was released 20 years ago. The NeoOffice project is no longer active. I will not help further until you update your forum signature, providing the Office suite name, version, and MacOS version you which use.
Q22/A22: How do I tell what version of MacOS I have? How do I tell what version of OpenOffice I have?

neil-uk wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:17 am What I mean by this, is if I have A1 which says "£" then lines B1, C1, etc would display in £1.00 - whether data input, or formula.
Instead of marking the currency for the row by typing a value in its first column, mark the currency by selecting the row and applying a style.

Begin by creating styles for the all of the currencies you need.
• Format → Styles and Formatting
• Default → Right-click → New (for each currency)
• Organizer → Name → Your choice
• Numbers → Category → Currency → Your choice from list immediately underneath Format → OK.

After creating all your styles, select a row by clicking its number to the left of column A and set the row's style by double-clicking the appropriate name in the list of styles. Now when you supply a value for a cell in that row, whether by entry of a number from the keyboard or by evaluation of a formula, the value will be displayed with the currency which you set for the row. When you click any cell in your spreadsheet its style will be shown in the Styles and Formatting list.
202402191030.ods
(16.48 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

neil-uk wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:17 am … than a formula itself - but wondered if it was possible?
It is possible to set a cell's style (but not the row's style) using the STYLE function, and the function could apply a style to each cell based on the contents of column A, but that seems far more complex than using the Styles and Formatting dialog. I don't recommend using the STYLE function for this situation. If you need any additional assistance attach a spreadsheet demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the spreadsheet itself). I will not help further unless you attach. Read about the STYLE function in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about it in the Calc Forum.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Q64/A64: How do I open a context menu (shortcut menu, right-click) on a Mac?
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
neil-uk

Re: Set currency for row in multi-currency sheet

Post by neil-uk »

Sorry for the late reply, I will consider those options.

Thanks guys!
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4