[Solved] Remove items from Recent Documents

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
montana722

[Solved] Remove items from Recent Documents

Post by montana722 »

I am not highly adept at using this program and try to stick to the most minimal basics so I don't mess something up clicking the wrong thing.

There used to be a tool called "History Master Handler" that would let you remove any documents you didn't want in your "quick access" list. That has apparently been eliminated and I have documents in that list I don't want. Some are duplicates that won't open or ones I don't use often.

Is there anything simple that I can do to delete those or get them out of the list ? Appreciate all you experts and this great program.

Edit: Changed subject, was Remove unwanted documents and duplicates from list 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by montana722 on Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Anything I can do to remove unwanted documents and duplicates from list ?

Post by Hagar Delest »

It is the History Master extension.

LibreOffice has improved the start center and allows you to remove any document directly from there.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Remove unwanted documents and duplicates from list

Post by MrProgrammer »

montana722 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:30 pm There used to be a tool called "History Master Handler" that would let you remove any documents you didn't want in your "quick access" list.
Lost History Master for list handling

Or use File → Recent Documents → Clear.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
montana722

Re: Anything I can do to remove unwanted documents and duplicates from list ?

Post by montana722 »

Hagar Delest wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:40 pm It is the History Master extension.

LibreOffice has improved the start center and allows you to remove any document directly from there.
I am not sure what you are referring to by "start center" or how to use that. I am using the new Apache 4.1 version. I have really caused some problems that took hours for me to find how to undo it and fix by just clicking things lol so I am leary about doing anything I'm not sure about.
Last edited by montana722 on Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
montana722

Re: Remove unwanted documents and duplicates from list

Post by montana722 »

MrProgrammer wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:46 pm
montana722 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:30 pm There used to be a tool called "History Master Handler" that would let you remove any documents you didn't want in your "quick access" list.
Lost History Master for list handling

Or use File → Recent Documents → Clear.

Yes, I saw that. But I don't want to clear the entire list. I would just like to select the ones that either won't open anymore or just would rather send them back to my documents so that the list only has the documents I use. History Master was great for that and I am surprised it was discontinued in the new version.
Hagar Delest

Re: Remove items from Recent Documents

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you checked the features of the extension?
One of them is: "Eliminate the useless names."
Never tried myself if you can select the ones you want to remove but worth the try.

The start center is the page displayed when you open the application. In AOO, you have a panel to select the application (Writer, Calc...). In LO, thumbnails of the recent documents are displayed and you can click the tiles to pin them or to remove them.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Have you tried to (re)install the extension? It seems you had a similar problem a while ago according to the link that MrProgrammer kindly provided for you.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

:crazy: :roll:
Hadn't noticed that the other thread was from OP too.
montana722

Post by montana722 »

Hagar Delest wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:55 am :crazy: :roll:
Hadn't noticed that the other thread was from OP too.

I'm an old guy that has been using an HP computer for 13 years with Windows 7. I was comfortable with it, liked it and had every intention to use it until one of us died. A couple weeks ago one of us did, I got the blue screen. I had to get a new computer and was forced to start over learning Windows 10. The version of Open Office was 3.6 that I had been using.

One of the first things I did is download Open Office on the new computer with the latest version. It is not possible to reinstall History Master because I had tried everything following the instructions when I made the original post. It led to nothing but error messages. So the second thing I did is look for the History Master. I thought maybe it had been added again in the new versions or something that did what it did might be there. It is not. However, you know now why I asked the question again.

I'll mark it solved and let anyone who has the same question use the file--recent documents clear as a solution if that does what they want.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Best that the machine was the first to go!

You could try LibreOffice. It is much more developed than AOO and I think you will like its start center.
Both applications are very similar for the interface, you wont't be lost at all.

Note that the comments in the extension page are not consistent, it works for some with 4.2 but not for all users.
LastUnicorn

Re: [Solved] Remove items from Recent Documents

Post by LastUnicorn »

If thinking of trying LibreOffice see this thread for useful information on doing so: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

Note that in LibreOffice the 'Start Centre' is known as the 'LibreOffice QuickStarter'. To automatically use the QuickStarter make the following setting in LibreOffice go (menu) Tools > Options... > LibreOffice > General and tick the box that says Load LibreOffice during system start-up

If you prefer to just manually launch the QuickStarter then do not make the setting above, instead just launch the LibreOffice shortcut in your Windows Start Menu and the QuickStarter will then open. (Note: this is not the same as launching using the shortcut LibreOffice Writer.)
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
montana722

Re: [Solved] Remove items from Recent Documents

Post by montana722 »

Thanks.

I'll just stay with what I've got. This is a very complicated program and clicking the wrong thing can really cause problems in a hurry. When I downloaded Open Office from Google, I thought I was downloading the right thing and didn't even know there was an alternate. I can get get done what I need to with what I've got and I'll just live with the 10 documents in my list.

Thanks to all who replied.