[Solved] Can recipient see tracked changes?

Discuss the word processor
markwrites

[Solved] Can recipient see tracked changes?

Post by markwrites »

I recall reading that in some circumstances the recipient of an MS Word file can see edits i.e parts the creator has deleted.
Can this happen with OO?

I made all edits in one OO file and saved it.Then when finished I copied and pasted the finished piece to another OO file
Edit/changes has show ticked. Record not ticked
Last edited by markwrites on Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OO 4.1.15 on Windows 7 64 bit
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: can recipient see changes

Post by JeJe »

Are you saving as an odt file?

If you've accepted all changes... which copying should do... there shouldn't be any hidden history stored.

If you rename a copy of your file from yourfilename.odt to yourfilename.zip and unzip it then you can see everything in xml format.
If you pay particular attention to the file called content.xml you can verify what is in the document.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
markwrites

Re: can recipient see changes

Post by markwrites »

"Are you saving as an odt file?"

Yes

"If you rename a copy of your file from yourfilename.odt to yourfilename.zip and unzip it then you can see everything in xml format.
If you pay particular attention to the file called content.xml you can verify what is in the document."

OK Thanks, noted your comments
OO 4.1.15 on Windows 7 64 bit
Hagar Delest

Re: Can recipient see tracked changes?

Post by Hagar Delest »

I would not trust a copy-paste. Because the application may not tell you exactly what it has imported (potentially because of a bug). Remaining metadata may still have been carried over. Or at least, paste as unformatted text but I doubt it would suit your need.
The best is IMHO to accept all changes and make sure through the feature that there is nothing left with Track changes > Manage.

And of course, the safest bet is the PDF, especially if the file does not need to be edited by the recipient.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Re: Can recipient see tracked changes?

Post by keme »

Side note. (Looks like it does not apply in this case, but relevant to similar situations.)
Another way a file can have hidden content (which normally constitutes "edit history") is by way of versions. Multiple versions of a document can be saved in the same file. See the Versions option on the File menu.