Numbering styles for Brazilian law 95/1998

Discuss the word processor
murielgm

Numbering styles for Brazilian law 95/1998

Post by murielgm »

Hello LibreOffice Community,

I am currently working on a document that must adhere to the numbering criteria outlined in Brazilian Law 95/1998. The specific challenges I'm facing are:
  • Using the abbreviation "Art." for articles [done!], followed by ordinal numbers up to nine and cardinal numbers from ten onwards.
My concern here is how to handle the transition from ordinal to cardinal numbers within the same numbering style. Is it possible to achieve this using numbering styles, automatically switching between ordinal and cardinal numbers? Ex.: 1°, 2°, 3°, 4°, 5°, 6°, 7°, 8°, 9°, 10, 11,12, etc
  • Articles breaking down into paragraphs [done!], with paragraphs indicated by the symbol "§" [done!] followed by ordinal numbers up to nine and cardinal numbers from ten onwards [same as above]. When there is only one paragraph, it should be labeled "single paragraph" in full.
Here I am also grappling with the conditional rule: when there is only one paragraph, I can't use the standard "§1°" (ordinal numbering). Instead, I need to express it as "single paragraph." How can I implement this conditional numbering style in LibreOffice Writer?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance, suggestions, or steps on how to set up these numbering styles in LibreOffice Writer to align with the specified requirements.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Murielgm
Curitiba/Brazil
Version: 7.5.9.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: cdeefe45c17511d326101eed8008ac4092f278a9
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: pt-BR (pt_BR); UI: pt-BR
Calc: threaded
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: Numbering Styles According to Brazilian Legislative Criteria (Law 95/1998)

Post by JeJe »

If I understand you, you want the numbering style to go
Paragraph 1
Paragraph 2
Paragraph 3
unless there's just one paragraph when you want it to go
single paragraph
I think you need a second numbering style for when there's just one paragraph and can't do all that with one style because it doesn't have the contextual awareness of how many paragraphs there are for different choices within one numbering style for the numbers.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
murielgm

Post by murielgm »

Hi,

My concern is: with the approach you suggest, will it still work seamlessly with cross-references? I want to ensure that the numbering system remains consistent and functional throughout the document.
Thanks again for your help!

Best regards,
Murielgm
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I believe that it is possible to build a set of styles which facilitates this formatting, but it is not easy to fully automate the process. Some manual work is still required. I envision using two list levels with "consecutive numbering" to allow for the transition from sigle to double digit.

One question:
Are articles under this standard subordinate to paragraphs or vice versa, or are articles and paragraphs independent as structural elements?
murielgm

Post by murielgm »

Are articles under this standard subordinate to paragraphs or vice versa, or are articles and paragraphs independent as structural elements?

Yes, the paragraphs are subordinated to the articles.

It is very important to have this subordination, so I can use cross-references (I have to use it twice: one cross reference for the article, another for the paragraph).

thx