[Solved] Can't cut/paste photos; text is OK

Discuss the word processor
Julz@AZ

[Solved] Can't cut/paste photos; text is OK

Post by Julz@AZ »

Until recently, I had no issues copying and pasting photos into my documents--mainly Writer. NOW, tho, I cut and paste, and just the "Image 1" in a box, with a small photo icon next to the label "Image1", shows up in my document!! ;o(

It's weird....if I click on the Image1, it shows me a small version of the image I've (unsuccessfully) pasted, with the various Image properties, I guess?
When I go to the Macro tab, in the chart labeled Assignments, my notification was: “Could not load image”.

My text copies with no problem. I attached a pdf, but had to reduce size of graphic to make it small enough. Hope my explanation is clear enough with the picture to demonstrate.
Unsuccessful Copy-Paste RTF.png
Unsuccessful Copy-Paste RTF.png (78.7 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Unsuccessful Screenshot Copy+Paste.pdf
(117.6 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Now I can't even paste print screens that I've copied, so it's photos AND graphics...yet I can see a preview of the image I've (unsuccessfully) pasted into my document where the document is saved on my desktop. When I open the document, tho, only the Image box appears.

I thought this might be a MS10Home problem, or with my Clipboard, but wonder now if it's in my LibreOffice program. Can you help??

Thanks,
Julz
P.S. I'm using LibreOffice 6.1 on Microsoft 10 Home
Last edited by floris v on Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julz@AZ :shock:
LibreOffice 6.1 on Windows 10 Home 22H2
robleyd

Re: Can't cut & paste photos anymore--but text is fine!!

Post by robleyd »

Go to Tools | Options | LibreOffice Writer | View and make sure Display/Graphics and Objects is checked.

You might want to consider upgrading your LibreOffice as the version you have is some six years old now and there have been many improvements since. Also, possibly to your discomfit, many functions have been renamed or moved in the menu structure.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Just some tips:

- Never paste preformatted text and/or images directly from a foreign source.

- Use the "Paste Special - unformatted text" for the textual content, and the "Insert - image " for the pictures.
You can reformat the text by some mouse click if you use the Styles.
Always optimize the images before you insert them into an ODF documents. Use third party image manager softwares like the free IrfanView. (Save the pictures - mined from a foreign source - to a storege device before.)

- Use .png or .jpg file format. Never use the .bmp file format.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

[Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Julz@AZ

Post by Julz@AZ »

Robleyd,
I DID update to 7.5.9.2, for non-experts. The first download didn't work, so I uninstalled it and retried. Seems to be working fine...I still had the same issue with my pictures.....UNTIL I noticed your comments across the top of your reply:
[Go to Tools | Options | LibreOffice Writer | View and make sure Display/Graphics and Objects is checked]
In the Tools, "Images and Objects" was NOT checked!!

I corrected that, then returned to my older failed .odt docs and Hallelujah!! It worked correctly!! I don't know how the setting could've gotten changed initially (I didn't even know those settings existed--I've never needed to mess with anything like that before) or if some other error goofed things up, but THANK YOU>>>THANK YOU>>>THANK YOU>>>!!

Many thanks,
Julz

PS...I'll take a close look at the other replies, too, but the setting change seems to have sealed the deal!! :o) !!
Julz@AZ

Post by Julz@AZ »

Zizi64,
I typically cut & paste from articles on the internet, etc. If the site is safe, according to my McAfee, then is there any problem? I mean, this pasting quirk has NEVER happened to me before....and I've been doing this for 40+ years, using an OpenOffice-type for over 10

....Can you give me a quick explanation of what you'd consider a "foreign source"? I don't know that I understand that clearly, so the need for an additional "image manager" seems a lot more complicated. Please clarify "foreign source".

I've only ever cut & pasted my pictures, so I'll have to check on using "insert-image" instead. Thanks for that info.

Mr. Programmer,
Thank you for the tutorial. I saved it in a new folder for LibreOffice Helps.

This forum has been a great resource. Thanks to all you helpers! I'll wait for Zizi's reply, then add [Solved] to my query. Tnx.
Julz@AZ
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Can't cut & paste photos anymore--but text is fine!!

Post by Zizi64 »

Please clarify "foreign source".
It means every source what is not an ODF document and it has some formatting properties or if it contains any images:
- Internet webpages (HTML and others)
- MS Office file formats
- PDF file format
- RTF file format
- and many others.

These sources may use standardized and non standardized formatting properties in many versions and sub versions.
And they may use non supported image types, and supported type but unoptimized huge images. Huge bitsize images consupt huge resources on your PC but not give you any more informations in a printed ODF document and in an exported PDF file.

Note:
There is not (never was and never will be) 100% compatibility between the different dociument formats. You will lose some formatting properties or even content, when you try to convert or paste these formats into an ODF file format document.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Can't cut & paste photos anymore--but text is fine!!

Post by Zizi64 »

View and make sure Display/Graphics and Objects is checked]
In the Tools, "Images and Objects" was NOT checked!!
It is inherited from the previous LO version in the User Profile. A regular Uninstall will not delete the previous User Profile, and the new LO version will use its stored settings. You can delete it manually after the uninstalling - if it needed.

This feature is for accelerating the re-rendering procedure of the document, when you scroll in a document. (When you uncheck this option, then it not needed recalculate every appeared pixels of the embedded images. Even the FullHD displays can not show every existing pixels of a huge bit-size image: it must be calculated pixels to appeare.)