.odt files no longer open to last saved spot

Discuss the word processor
Kaze

.odt files no longer open to last saved spot

Post by Kaze »

This topic has come up before, a couple times, but I don't know if necromancy is a good idea on this forum. So here goes:

Since last night, documents no longer open to the last saved spot. Not just one document, all of them. I've checked recent .odt and old .doc files. Every document opens at the top now.

I'm on Apache OO 4.1.14 using .odt format.

All docs have my user name listed in Tools/Options/OO/UserData. (fwiw, this has always been the case, and never changed)
File/Properties shows that I'm the author.
I haven't changed any check boxes in the security tab of properties, or done anything funky.

I'm the only user of this computer, and everything was fine as of... 11:30pm last night. This morning, started PC... all docs/dot start at beginning, rather than the last edited spot.

I haven't run any anti-virus programs or disk cleaner recently, that might have affected temporary data.

I tried deleting my user data folder from Roaming/AppData (sic). No help.
I tried uninstalling the program, restarted the PC and reinstalled the program. No dice.

Read these threads, but no help to me this time:
viewtopic.php?t=68701
viewtopic.php?p=306246#p306246

(PS I realize that I probably did "something" to mess this up, but I'll be ****** if I know what that is. Heh)
Last edited by Kaze on Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache Open Office 4.1.14. Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: .odt files no longer open to last saved spot (they did)

Post by Hagar Delest »

For .doc files, that's normal, the feature is not compatible IIRC.

Can you share a .odt sample file (with several pages of dummy text) so that we try? We will save them and then reopen it to see what happens.

Note: you should update your forum signature.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Kaze

Post by Kaze »

This is madness... Things changed again.
I swear to all that is holy that when I posted this, no document would open at the last edited point.. and now almost every .odt or .doc opens where I left off...only my journal is still messed up.

My journal is 1,600 pages long and still opens at the top. I don't really want to post my journal here. But, I do have something more to report:

For testing purposes, I started deleting large chunks of my journal (.odt) document, and saving test pages to see if there was any change. There was! After deleting the last 600 pages, I noticed that the file started saving at the last edit point. So I must have done something weird last night while editing.

last night I tried adding a bookmark for the first time. Is it possible I added some rogue formatting by mistake? Any way to check this on my end?

(Edit: Trying to be more concise)
Last edited by Kaze on Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There may have been a glitch somewhere like a space or a hidden character in your user name but created by an issue during a save operation of the regystrymodifications.xcu file in your profile.

For your journal, difficult to say.
You can try the method proposed in the tutorial to anonymize the document (see How to attach a document here). If the bug still occurs, it may be interesting to check. But with 1,600 pages, that may take some time to narrow the problem.
Try to remove the bookmark (with the Navigator) to see if it is the root cause.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
Kaze

Post by Kaze »

Here are things I tried after the last post by Hagar.

1.) I started deleted large chunks of my journal and saved test files to see if the file would open where I last edited.
Every time I save and reopen, the document opens at the top... until I reach 1,049 pages. Once I'm at 1,049 I can save anywhere, close the program, restart it and my cursor will be where I left off. At 1,050 pages regardless of where I leave off, the .odt file reopens at the top.

2.) If I save my document at page 1049 or earlier, and restar, my cursor will be right where I left off. If I save anywhere after page 1050 and restart the program, it opens at the top of the document.

3.) I tried deleting all of my bookmarks (via the navigation menu) and it didn't change anything.

4.) I tried copying all text in the document, pasting it into a new .odt and saving. When I reopen it, I'm at the top of the document again, regardless of where in the file I had saved.

(These are in addition to all the things I already tried above)
Last edited by Kaze on Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: .odt files no longer open to last saved spot (they used to)

Post by Hagar Delest »

It may be a glitch in the code when you reach a limit in characters. If you select all the text until page 1,049, how many characters does it make?
If you take a document that doesn't show the problem, then copy and paste its content to reach as many pages or as many characters as the file with the issue. Does it then show the same problem?

See also: [Issue] Last cursor position lost (from LO 7.1). It applies to LibreOffice but it may be similar. You ca try LO by the way. I have had less of that issue recently, maybe something was tuned.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

@Hagar: I have just tried a test with a file of 28,800 (A5) pages, just under 9 million words. I was able to make an edit on page 10,125; Save the file and reopen it. It opened to the correct last edit location, so I doubt that there is any character limit applying. It did take a few seconds to stabilise when opened (20/30 - not timed).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Thanks Rory. That means there is something weird in Kaze's file that prevents the cursor to go back to its last position.
But since the feature itself is rather murky (per discussions in the bug report), pretty challenging to find out the root cause.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If I had any problem I'd use a workaround of putting a Comment at my current location before I closed the file, and move there with the Navigator.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

When the feature doesn't work, I use that code, with 2 buttons in a custom toolbar. One for the save operation and one to go back to the last save position: Set and retrieve last cursor position (with a bookmark).