[Solved] Create independent columns for entries

Discuss the word processor
videobruce

[Solved] Create independent columns for entries

Post by videobruce »

I don't know if I worded that correctly, but to expand on that';
I've run into this problem before, but I was able to work around it, but not this time due to the number of entries in each column. The previous column is not being filled to the bottom of the page.

I want to create multiple columns with data entry independent of the previous column. Example; I have 20 items in column one. I want to start entering data in column two, without continuously tabbing down in column one to the next column. I see if I use the space bar, toggle over to the end of the 1st column it will tab down creating another row which tell one that the columns are isolated from one another, but not. :x
If it matters, the data in this case are numerical, not text.

So, is there a way without using Calculator to do this in Writer assuming the above makes sense? :crazy:
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice v4.13
Win 7 & XP Pro
videobruce

Re: Making entries in separate columns independent of other columns

Post by videobruce »

IOW's w/o using the tab bar repeatably to get to the bottom of the 1st column to start the 2nd column, etc.
OpenOffice v4.13
Win 7 & XP Pro
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

It sounds to me like you need to use a table instead of columns. Use the menu Table -> Insert -> Table. You can then choose the number of rows and columns. The choice you make there can be adjusted later
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Attached is what I have already. I setup a 3 column 'table', but when I tried a C&P, all it did was to cover over the first column and paste the list in a blank space the process created.
See the attachments. The 1st attachment was the test using the 1st file.
Attachments
table insert test.odt
(13.1 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Tenitive frequency lists for 3 radios.odt
(11.52 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Last edited by videobruce on Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice v4.13
Win 7 & XP Pro
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

videobruce wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:41 pm I want to create multiple columns with data entry independent of the previous column.
Try a multi-column single-row table.
202401231028.odt
(13.66 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

videobruce (first post) wrote: I want to start entering data in column two …
videobruce (third post) wrote: … when I tried a C&P …
Based on your first post I would have thought you were typing the data. But now it seems as if you are using copy and paste. It is best to make that clear right away, for sometimes the answer will be different. In this case I will suggest that instead of Edit → Paste you use Edit → Paste Special → Unformatted text. It is not possible for me to help you with copy/paste problems unless your reveal the source of the copy.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

I originally wanted to do was to format the page w/ the columns first, then type in the data, but since I already added the data, I wanted to see what would happen if I formatted the columns afterwards. Nothing to loose.

The source of the copy is what you see in the 2nd attachment. It's not a 'foreign' format. ;)
OpenOffice v4.13
Win 7 & XP Pro
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The data in the source document is on a 3-column page. AFAIK, there is no way to make Writer convert this directly to a 3-column table. You can select the data then use Table > Convert > Text to Table first to convert the data to a 1-column table. You can then copy each part of the data and paste it into the appropriate column of a 3-column table.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

That 2nd attachment I was talking about, I physically typed in using the 'Enter' key to toggle the cursor down, then to the next column.
Sorry if my descriptions and terminology isn't always correct. :(
OpenOffice v4.13
Win 7 & XP Pro
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

videobruce wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:41 pm I want to create multiple columns with data entry independent of the previous column. Example; I have 20 items in column one. I want to start entering data in column two, without continuously tabbing down in column one to the next column. I see if I use the space bar, toggle over to the end of the 1st column it will tab down creating another row which tell one that the columns are isolated from one another, but not.
You're adding lines which causes the cursor to move to a new column automatically. Try using Insert > Manual Break > Column Break to move to a new column manually.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

That looks like that may work. I still have to start at the top of the column, but that is where I would normally anyway. Not ideal, but far better than using the 'Enter' key to fill up the existing column.
Kinda a odd way of doing this.
OpenOffice v4.13
Win 7 & XP Pro