[Solved] Sheet music PDF displays incorrectly

Discuss the drawing application
bjr

[Solved] Sheet music PDF displays incorrectly

Post by bjr »

I have been using LibreOffice for a number of years now and have found it serves me well as a casual user. Most of the time it's only used to create .doc and/or .pdf files with lyrics to songs and also to create spreadsheets that help keep track of my quartet's repertoire.

All was fine until I purchased a new computer with Windows 11 preinstalled. I downloaded and then installed LibreOffice v.7.5.9.2 and everything seems to function just fine except for Draw. When I open some PDF's in MS OfficeSuite they appear fine but Draw appears to want to translate the notes into English. There is, no doubt, a switch somewhere that will stop this but I have yet to find it. Any ideas?
Before.png
Before.png (115.06 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
After.png
After.png (125.15 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited by bjr on 27 Jan 2024 08:55 CST to mark as solved, but without indicating the solution they used
LibreOffice 7.5.9.2 on Windows 11
Hagar Delest

Re: Sheet music PDF displays incorrectly

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

This is clearly a font issue.
LO doesn't find the correct font. If it used to work fine with the other machine, check what could be the missing font and install it on the new machine.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
bjr

Post by bjr »

Interesting as I never installed fonts on the other computer. Don't have the time at present to correct the situation so will probably just use another editor for now. Thanks for the help.
cwolan

Post by cwolan »

Let's assume the above screenshot refers to this .pdf file.

Adobe Reader: Document Properties, the Fonts tab lists i.a. the "MaestroWide" font (Embedded Subset).
I don't think it is present by default on Windows 11, at least not on mine.

After installing the font in question and opening the .pdf file in LO Draw 7.5.9.2
Draw_7592_Win11.png
Draw_7592_Win11.png (120.33 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

Thus, Hagar Delest might be right:
Hagar Delest wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:48 pm This is clearly a font issue.
LO doesn't find the correct font. If it used to work fine with the other machine, check what could be the missing font and install it on the new machine.
OpenOffice 1.1.5 – 4.1.15
LibreOffice 3.3.0.4 – 7.6.6
Windows 7,10,11 64-bit
bjr

Post by bjr »

Installed the suggested fonts but still not corrected. Since this issue, I've been working on creating fliers for my chorus and have noticed other odd issues with how PDF's are displayed. While PDFs that have been submitted by someone on a MAC look perfectly fine when opened in all other readers, (MS Edge and OfficeSuite) they are totally out of whack when opening in LO. Once cropped images become full-sized and text becomes misaligned. Even tried uninstalling and loading up V7.6.4 which provided the same results. Hate to abandon LO but, as of today, I really have no choice.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

bjr wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:16 pm I open some PDF's … Draw appears to want to translate the notes into English.
If the intent is to view the PDF, use the program designed for viewing PDFs, Acrobat Reader, not LibreOffice. Acrobat Reader will display your PDF properly and will not attempt to translate notes to oe, clefs to V and ?, key signatures to bbb, accidentals to A, etc. LibreOffice is not intended to be a PDF viewer. LibreOffice is trying to interpret the music as English text, which is it not. Use Acrobat Reader.
Download free Adobe Acrobat Reader software for Windows, Mac OS, and Android to view, print, and annotate PDF documents

If the intent is to edit the PDF, good luck with that since PDF is a final format document and not designed for editing.
[Tutorial] How do I edit a PDF?

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I just downloaded and installed the MaestroWide Regular font on my Windows 10 (from this site:
https://fontsgeek.com/fonts/Maestro-Wide-Regular )
And the .pdf file linked by cwolan opens fine in my LO 7.5.8 version - after restarting it.

The last page of the PDF contains an image, but not "music text", you will not able to edit it as you can edit the other ones.

I suggest you to get the MuseScore version (native format or midi ".mid") of this music. The MuseScore is a free music note editor software with Midi playing feature.
MusicNote.png
MusicNote.png (113.85 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is my memory that OpenOffice (and LibreOffice? - I cannot say for certain about LO) only checks for fonts on its startup so a font installed while OpenOffice is in use may not be available to it until next startup.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS