[Dropped] Opening screen cannot be closed

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Cinnaro

[Dropped] Opening screen cannot be closed

Post by Cinnaro »

I use Windows 11. The opening screen (see attachment) of Open Office cannot be removed. I tried to uninstall OO, but this can't be done while this screen stays open. Nor does reinstalling work because this. Can someone help?
openofficeScreen.jpg
openofficeScreen.jpg (76.41 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dropped: No response from Cinnaro
Windows 11
>Open Office 4.1.11
FJCC

Re: Opening screen cannot be closed

Post by FJCC »

Does nothing happen if you click on one of the icons, say Text Document?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Does the Alt F4 key combination help? Alternately use TaskManager (Crtl Shift Esc) to close any OpenOffice remnants.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The start center cannot be removed when you launch AOO.
If you need to uninstall AOO, then close or kill it (soffice.bin process in the task manager).

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Cinnaro wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:35 pm The opening screen (see attachment) of Open Office cannot be removed.
This screen is always presented when you start OpenOffice without providing a document to view/edit. You have five options:
• Create a new Text Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, … using the buttons at the top
• Open an existing document using the Open button
• Open a document you recently worked with using the arrow to the right of Open
• Open one of your OpenOffice templates using the Templates button
• Exit OpenOffice using the standard method in Windows to terminate an application

I do not use Windows so I cannot assist with the last of these, but others have suggesed procedures.

If you don't want to see this screen, then use Windows to open an existing document or an existing template. For example, to open a new, blank spreadsheet, create a new one with the attributes that you want (perhaps containing your preferred styles) and use File → Save As to save it as a spreadsheet template. Now you can tell Windows to open your template. This will create a new, unsaved spreadsheet and bypass the screen you're trying to avoid.

Cinnaro wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:35 pm I tried to uninstall OO, but this can't be done while this screen stays open.
If the intent is to uninstall/reinstall to "fix" OpenOffice and avoid the screen, this will be a waste of time because OpenOffice will always present that screen unless you provide a document to view/edit.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Just for the record: on linux I can close the StartCenter by /File /Close/, /File /Exit, Alt F4, X box in top right of StartCenter window, or TaskManager.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS