[Solved] Automatic Writer table column width

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
wanglong

[Solved] Automatic Writer table column width

Post by wanglong »

Does Writer not support the automatic table column width function? I want to fix the table width and automatically adjust the column width according to the column content.

Edit: Changed subject, was Writer doesn't support the automatic table column width? 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited topic's subject
Libre Office 7.6 on Windows 11.
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: Writer doesn't support the automatic table column width?

Post by Lupp »

wanglong wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:42 am I want to fix the table width and automatically adjust the column width according to the column content.
Wouldn't you expect an inconsistency this way? I would.

Anyway: There is a feature
>Table>Autofit>Optimal Column Width

Like in Calc it will not cause an automatic adaption after every change of content. You need to call the command explicitly, and it will work then depending on the current state.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Text frames can resize horizontally according to the text typed and they can also have a macro assigned to the frame resizing. So instead of a table you could use a grid of text frames? Assumes the number of frames wouldn't be excessive.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
wanglong

Post by wanglong »

Lupp,JeJe,thank you so much for your help.
Libre Office 7.6 on Windows 11.