MacOS 14 message: Developer cannot be verified

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
RMV

MacOS 14 message: Developer cannot be verified

Post by RMV »

Privacy and Security in Mac setting does not have a button to approve the download. The forum FAQ says to contact Apple. Apple says that you need to contact the app developers. Anyone have contact information for them like a phone number or email?
Last edited by FJCC on Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.15 on MacOS Sonoma
FJCC

Re: MacOS message: Developer cannot be verified

Post by FJCC »

Please tell us what operating system version you have.
What exactly did you do and what happened or where did you get stuck?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

[Tutorial] Mac FAQ, Question 05
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RMV

Post by RMV »

The top of my post got cut off. It's 4.1.15 on MacOS Sonoma. the download worked fine, and it looks like it might have installed. Clicking on the icon to start up gets you the message that the app cannot be verified. However when you try the Pivacy & Security in settings, it does not have a button the accept the download as stated in the FAQ. It looks like the newest version is not verified.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

RMV wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:45 am Clicking on the icon to start up gets you the message that the app cannot be verified. However when you try the Pivacy & Security in settings, it does not have a button the accept the download as stated in the FAQ.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q05/A05 says to check with Apple for the correct procedure for your version of MacOS.

In the following link, make sure version MacOS Sonoma 14 is selected at the top.
MacOS Help: Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer
Ask Apple if you have any further questions about their procedure.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RMV

Post by RMV »

As noted in the 3:55pm reply yesterday, I have done a screen share with an Apple associate. They verified that there is no open anyway button in Privacy & Security. Does anyone know if there’s an older version that works in Sonoma?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try LibreOffice.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RMV

Post by RMV »

I have many years of experience with OpenOfice, and would prefer to stay with that. I'm used to my keystroke shortcuts.

Rob
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

They derived from the same code (OpenOffice.org). Shortcuts are the same and you can export your configuration from one to another I think.
Since LO is under much more active development than AOO, it will spare you a lot of such troubles.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

RMV wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:18 pm Does anyone know if there’s an older version that works in Sonoma?
You don't know whether 4.1.15 runs with Sonoma or not, since you haven't convinced MacOS to launch it after you put it in the /Applications folder. If you download some older version you may have the same problem: MacOS won't let you launch it.

RMV wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:18 pm I have done a screen share with an Apple associate. They verified that there is no open anyway button in Privacy & Security.
Either:
• the Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer procedure that Apple has provided to wasn't followed correctly, or
• Apple's procedure doesn't work for MacOS 14
Neither of these is an OpenOffice problem.

I can't test the procedure since I don't use MacOS 14. It says Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu. Are you positive you used Control-click as indicated? If you just open the application normally I am not surprised you aren't successful. I do not know if it is necessary to use Open Anyway in addition to Control-click → Open.

It will be very helpful to know if using Control-click allows you to launch OpenOffice. I am hopeful this will be successful because it seems unlikely to me that the procedure Apple provided simply doesn't work. That would prevent all non-Apple downloads from running, not just OpenOffice.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RMV

Post by RMV »

Using Control click does get me the open sidebar. It then gives me the message “OpenOffice” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. MacOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware. My screen share with the Apple associate confirmed this. It also confirmed that Privacy & Security did not have an option to open anyway. They said there was nothing they could do because the developer needed to request verification.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

RMV wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:50 am They said there was nothing they could do because the developer needed to request verification.
I will believe that you can't get Apple's procedure to work. A question for the person who helped you would have been:
• If developers must request verification then why does Apple supply their Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer procedure?

Either:
• The procedure is correct but MacOS 14 has a defect which prevents it from allowing access to the app, so Apple needs to fix that defect
• The procedure is incorrect but Apple does intend to allow access, so the procedure needs to be updated with the steps for MacOS 14
• MacOS 14 no longer allows any unidentified apps, so Apple needs to remove the access procedure for them from MacOS help
Mr. Programmer
RMV

Post by RMV »

Apple has stated that the developer needs to submit the application for verification. My email to the developer was blocked by the moderator.
MrProgrammer

Re: MacOS 14 message: Developer cannot be verified

Post by MrProgrammer »

So Apple told you that MacOS 14 requires applications to be submitted for verification. If all applications must be verified, MacOS 14 no longer permits applications from unidentified developers (because if the application has been verified, the developer isn't unidentified). Thus Apple needs to remove their Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer procedure from the MacOS 14 User Guide because all applications must now come from identified developers who have had Apple verify their application.
Mr. Programmer