[Solved] Run OpenOffice from USB drive

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
riva

[Solved] Run OpenOffice from USB drive

Post by riva »

good day

starting oo from usb-stick is this possible on every win machine!

well - background: my win is totally weird - i d o not have any rights on it -

question: can i run oo-portable on a stick - is this possible
and is it possible on every (!!) condition!?

Edit: Changed subject, was starting oo from usb-stick is this possible on every win machine! 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
LastUnicorn

Re: Run OpenOffice from USB drive

Post by LastUnicorn »

Try these:

LibreOffice (Still) Portable

LibreOffice (Fresh) Portable

OpenOffice Portable

Scroll down any of those webpages to read important Support instructions on how 'install' and use.

EDIT: See this thread for reasons why you should prefer LibreOffice over OpenOffice: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

riva wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:51 pm well - background: my win is totally weird - i d o not have any rights on it -
I just noticed your signature says you are on Ubuntu. Yet you seem to be asking about Windows. Can you describe more fully what your issues are — it's difficult to make sense of anything from what you have already written.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
riva

Post by riva »

hi there

thanks for the reply.

sure thing - i am long (!!!!) Term - linux user.
But - unfortunatly - at my company nobody cares. Here everything runs on win - sad story but probably very very common.

i have no admin rights on the win-machine - so i tried to run openoffice from stick

this went all right for months now. But at the moment i have no luck

question: can you imagine that the Win machine is configured so strict (by our company-admins) that i am not able any more - to run a openoffice-portable version!`?!!

question two: should i create a new stick !?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Do you have read/write rights on your USB stick? If so, you probably can run OO portable. But if the system is locked up tight, you may not have such rights.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

riva wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:07 pm ...
question: can you imagine that the Win machine is configured so strict (by our company-admins) that i am not able any more - to run a openoffice-portable version!`?!!
Quite easy to imagine, because this is what happens, if you activate app and folder protection: Only allowed software and after updates you have to tell the system. We see a lot of "can't access after update"-questions here in the last months...
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

riva wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:07 pm question: can you imagine that the Win machine is configured so strict (by our company-admins) that i am not able any more - to run a openoffice-portable version!`?!!
Sure. More and more companies now deactivate data transfer through all the physical interfaces (SD card readers, USB ports). This is to prevent data theft.
If you still have a folder on the machine where you have write access, you can put the portable app there.
Else, ask the IT to whitelist AOO/LO. But I guess you have to make your case then.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
riva

Post by riva »

hi dear hagar

many thanks for the reply.

Sure. More and more companies now deactivate data transfer through all the physical interfaces (SD card readers, USB ports). This is to prevent data theft.
okay -
If you still have a folder on the machine where you have write access, you can put the portable app there.
Else, ask the IT to whitelist AOO/LO. But I guess you have to make your case then.
unfortunatly not - i do not have any folder where i have writing access.

well - side by side i have a linux desktop running - so i can work on this - using LO
but the good times where i were able to use LO on the same machine - (the main - "office workhorse "-with windows on it - they are gone..

many thanks for the great forum here.

keep up the great project - it rocks