[Solved] Can't save Openoffice docs to OneDrive

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
jlfiegel

[Solved] Can't save Openoffice docs to OneDrive

Post by jlfiegel »

Hi
This one has me befuddled for a couple of days now. I have been using MS Onedrive and OpenOffice both for years, without a hitch. I have it set up so my docs and spreadsheets are automatically backed up to OD. I recently installed OO 4.15 and when I modified an existing OO document, I started getting errors that would not allow me to save. " General I/O error accessing (path/filename)". So I uninstalled 4.15 and went back to 4.14. I kept getting the same errors. So I reinstalled 4.15. Same errors again.
I am able to save the same OO files to other places on my drive that are not backed up by OD. When I discovered this, I went to the MS support site and they suggested I reset OD, which I did. No luck.
I am able to save other file types (.txt, .xls) to OD, so there's something going on between OD and OO.
Any suggestions....next steps to try?

John
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.17 on Win 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: I can't save Openoffice docs to OneDrive

Post by Villeroy »

Why don't you ask Microsoft? A file is a file. Why this "service" rejects specific file types is beyond reason. Why people try to use such "services" is beyond my understanding.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

jlfiegel wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:41 pm ...
I am able to save other file types (.txt, .xls) to OD, so there's something going on between OD and OO.
Suggestions: Obviously don't rely on OD for Backup...
At least, try to copy a file fro OD to a local place and efit it there. If this works, you have access to your files.

As you wrote types, one question would be, if OpenOffice could create a .xls or .txt file on your OD. Otherwise: Do you use any non Microsoft software to create them? Anything recently installed? This may be one of M$ ideas for more security,where everything not from Microsoft can't be trusted...
I'm no expert on OneDrive. I'm using only Dropbox to share a bunch of photos. Some clouds restrict access to a file to the app, wich created the file.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

AOO has had some issues with the saving process. Try LibreOffice, it may be better Saving glitches were one of the reasons why I switched to LO. See [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jlfiegel

Post by jlfiegel »

Villeroy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:21 pm Why don't you ask Microsoft? A file is a file. Why this "service" rejects specific file types is beyond reason. Why people try to use such "services" is beyond my understanding.
Looking all over MS Site. I'm not finding anything.
jlfiegel

Post by jlfiegel »

Mountaineer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:39 am
jlfiegel wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:41 pm ...
Suggestions: Obviously don't rely on OD for Backup...
At least, try to copy a file fro OD to a local place and efit it there. If this works, you have access to your files.

As you wrote types, one question would be, if OpenOffice could create a .xls or .txt file on your OD. Otherwise: Do you use any non Microsoft software to create them? Anything recently installed? This may be one of M$ ideas for more security,where everything not from Microsoft can't be trusted...
I'm no expert on OneDrive. I'm using only Dropbox to share a bunch of photos. Some clouds restrict access to a file to the app, wich created the file.

Thanks! I can save my files to a place that is *not* backed up by OD. I looked for security issues locally and on MS site. Interestingly, I could not find OpenOffice anywhere on MS support. Dropbox is a good idea, if I can't get OD to work.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

As Hagar suggests, try LibreOffice. You might have success with that. Besides the OD problem you are facing there are several good reasons to prefer LibreOffice over OpenOffice anyway. Some of those reasons are given here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Rather than use cloud applications for Saving, my preference is to use a compact plugin USB drive, either a real hard disk or an SSD. One must be careful to observe the USB device removal protocols.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jlfiegel

Post by jlfiegel »

Yup. I save to both a SSD USB drive and cloud. My PC got hacked Xmas time 2011and I learned a hard lesson
jlfiegel

Post by jlfiegel »

Hagar Delest wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:05 pm AOO has had some issues with the saving process. Try LibreOffice, it may be better Saving glitches were one of the reasons why I switched to LO. See [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
Thank you Hagar and Last Unicorn! I uninstalled AOO and put in LibreOffice instead. Works like a champ!
John