[Solved] Compatibility with MS Office 2021

Not sure where to post? Post here!
perfection

[Solved] Compatibility with MS Office 2021

Post by perfection »

Hi
I was curious to know whether openoffice is completely and wholly compatible with MS office documents, spreadsheets and presentations. as in supports every animation including motion paths etc. Is there is post somewhere that details the issues and features not supported as i have just begun using openoffice and would like to curtail the learning curve as i have worked with MS office for a decade or so
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1
MrProgrammer

Re: Compatibility with MS office 2021

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Please search first before posting. There are plenty of topics about this subject in the Beginners forum, where you posted your topic. I have locked the topic to prevent duplication of discussion.
202312240043.gif
202312240043.gif (110.27 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
perfection wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:25 am Hi
I was curious to know whether openoffice is completely and wholly compatible with MS office documents …
Of course it isn't. The answer to your question is definitely no. Never was. Never will be. This is not a clone of the Microsnot suite and was not intended to be. The features are different, the user interface is different, and perfect import/export of foreign file formats is not possibe. Perhaps a firm no is everything you need. Otherwise, read the other topics if you need details. There are others in addition to the three which I found in ten seconds.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Hagar Delest

Re: Compatibility with MS office 2021

Post by Hagar Delest »

In addition, be aware that AOO development has been stalling for years. LibreOffice provide a better support for MS Office features.
However, make sure you use the AOO/LO native format (ODF) instead of MS Office file format. Else, there is no point using AOO/LO since each open/save operation will lead to conversions and thus glitches.
See: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information.

Note: I tag the topic as solved since all the information have been provided and topic is now locked.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10