[Dropped] Non-functioning Background Color Button

Discuss the spreadsheet application
driftwood27855

[Dropped] Non-functioning Background Color Button

Post by driftwood27855 »

No matter what I've tried, I cannot get the Background Color button to display any color.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dropped: No attachment provided when requested -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office Version 4; Windows 11; Microsoft Edge
robleyd

Re: Non-functioning Background Color Button

Post by robleyd »

You don't mention what you have tried, or what the exact results were. For example, if you click on the background colour icon on the toolbar, you should be presented with a colour picker dialog thus:
bg_col01.png
bg_col01.png (26.66 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Similarly, if you right click on the cell and select Format Cells from the context menu, you can access a tab labelled Background you should get a similar colour chooser. Same applies if you use the menu choices Format | Cells. Or you could create a cell style with the required background.

Describe what you have tried, and the exact results you got.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
driftwood27855

Post by driftwood27855 »

I had high hopes for the Right Click, Format Cells, Background, (choose color), OK, instructions did not work, unfortunately. Any other suggestions? I'd really like to colorize some of the cells in my Open Office spreadsheet. I hope to learn more. Should I consider deleting the program and re-installing it again afterward?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I'd really like to colorize some of the cells in my Open Office spreadsheet. I hope to learn more. Should I consider deleting the program and re-installing it again afterward?
Question: While using Open Office 4 Spreadsheet, the toggle for "Background Color" seems to have stopped working altogether. Any thoughts on how to get it to function properly again?
Maybe you have the Value Highlighting feature switched ON accidentally. In this case the original colors will be eliminated (temporarly) for a better visibility of the content Types (String - Number - Formula) in the cells. You can toggle it from the from the menu: View - Value Highlighting.

My other hints:
  • Check it if the Cells, the Sheet are protected or not... (Can you upload an ODF type, problematic spreadsheet file here?)
  • Use the Cell styles instead of the direct (manual) formatting method
  • Try the LibreOffice
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Value Highlighting doesn't stop the background colour being changed, but will override font colour settings.
instructions did not work, unfortunately
Did not work doesn't tell us what happened.
Should I consider deleting the program and re-installing it again afterward?
Probably won't change things. However, perhaps you may have a corrupted 'user profile', resettin that may help. [Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers