[Solved] Navigator Headings's Levels Shown keeps reverting

Discuss the word processor
ballantine

[Solved] Navigator Headings's Levels Shown keeps reverting

Post by ballantine »

I tried searching the web and this forum but didn't see a similar post, so here goes.... I have a rather large document I've been working on for the past year. I've written it on a personal laptop with a different version of OpenOffice installed -- no clue when I last updated it, unfortunately. I'm currently on a trip and forced to write on a different computer; I had downloaded OpenOffice to ease the transfer of the file.

My issue is this: to manage the document, I usually have the navigator open in a sidebar, with my headings shown at a specific level (in this case, 3). However, with this new/other version of OpenOffice, if I click away from the document for a while, invariably when I return, the headings levels shown have reverted to a default level which basically previews the entire text. It is rather inconvenient to constantly have to change it -- with my other openoffice, the sidebar never changed even after closing the document. Is there a way to "lock" the navigator?

Many thanks!
Last edited by ballantine on Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.14 on MacOS 12.6.7
Hagar Delest

Re: Navigator Headings's Levels Shown keeps reverting

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I don't remember that kind of behavior in AOO.
You can try LibreOffice, there is an option with the right click on the Heading title of the side bar that seems to limit the level shown (never tried it myself).
Heading.png
Heading.png (25.4 KiB) Viewed 1361 times

See [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I don't see an option in either AOO or LO to limit the display of headings in the Navigator to level 3 headings. Selecting "3" in the screen shot provided by Hagar displays "up to level 3", so it displays 3 levels of headings (level 1, level 2, level 3), not just level 3 headings.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Bill wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:59 pm I don't see an option in either AOO or LO to limit the display of headings in the Navigator to level 3 headings.
+1.
Never have seen such a feature. Thus, I understood that the issue was with not displaying levels below a specific one. I don't get what would be the point to display only e specific level. Imagine there is no numbering, how to identify the sections where are the headings for a proper navigation?
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

ballantine wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:32 pm if I click away from the document for a while
What do you mean by that?

In my version of OpenOffice (4.1.11) , if you close and reopen the document or close and reopen the Sidebar, then the Outline level you set is lost and it returns to the default of 10.

This doesn't happen in LibreOffice though (7.4.03)
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
ballantine

Post by ballantine »

JeJe wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:53 am
ballantine wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:32 pm if I click away from the document for a while
What do you mean by that?

In my version of OpenOffice (4.1.11) , if you close and reopen the document or close and reopen the Sidebar, then the Outline level you set is lost and it returns to the default of 10.

This doesn't happen in LibreOffice though (7.4.03)
I mean if I still have the document open, but I switch to, for example, an internet browser window (so the document is either minimized in my dock, or "behind" a stack of other applications). I do this with fair (okay, too much) regularity, which is why having the navigator reset on me is proving pretty frustrating. It would probably be more tolerable if it only happened when I closed the document...
Hagar Delest wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:23 am
Bill wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:59 pm I don't see an option in either AOO or LO to limit the display of headings in the Navigator to level 3 headings.
+1.
Never have seen such a feature. Thus, I understood that the issue was with not displaying levels below a specific one. I don't get what would be the point to display only e specific level. Imagine there is no numbering, how to identify the sections where are the headings for a proper navigation?
To try and be more clear with what I mean, here are two screenshots. The first is what I'm used to using to navigate my document, the second is what I keep getting (it appears to literally preview the entire thing in the navigator window, wild.)
Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 7.18.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 7.18.06 PM.png (42.93 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 7.26.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 7.26.28 PM.png (19.85 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

If everything is showing in the Navigator window then all the paragraphs in your document must have an Outline level. Look at your paragraph styles in use and see what Outline level is set for them.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This may be a bug in the Sidebar Navigator. Try using the regular Navigator (F5). In my limited testing, the Levels setting was stable in the regular Navigator but not in the Sidebar.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
ballantine

Post by ballantine »

Ah ha, the regular navigator does not appear to reset itself! I'm happy to call that solved, thank you everyone!!