[Solved] OpenOffice Writer Locked Files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
oilyrag2

[Solved] OpenOffice Writer Locked Files

Post by oilyrag2 »

I have read some messages about locked files but not my exact problem.......I am the "Owner" & "Administrator" of my computer, I have several saved files amongst many that I created that when I wish to edit or remove I get the message that they need the owners/administrators permission, so I can neither edit nor delete them.
Hp Desktop Computer/ Windows 10/ Open Office 4.1.14
Many thanks for any help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Unspecified version of LibreOffice, maybe 7.6.4, downloaded 2023-12-16
Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Re: Open Office Writer Locked Files

Post by LastUnicorn »

Give LibreOffice a try and see if that solves the issue. There are several good reasons to switch to LibreOffice anyway, some of which are given here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
RoryOF

Re: Open Office Writer Locked Files

Post by RoryOF »

Have you looked in their storage folders, having enabled "Viewing of Hidden and Archive files" ? If there are files of the form

Code: Select all

.~lock.MyFile.odt#
suitable adjusted for your file names and types, delete these, then try using OpenOffice to open the file(s) again.

Note that such "lock" files are small, a few hundred bytes; the OpenOffice files themselves will be at least a few kilobytes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice Writer Locked Files

Post by Bill »

The term "locked file" in AOO is applied to a file which produces a message titled "Document in Use" and says "Document file ... is locked for editing by..." and has buttons "Open Read-Only", "Open Copy" and "Cancel". This message does not mention the owner or administrator. The solution probably won't be found in posts about locked files. Look for posts about owner and administrator permission.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

For looking for a solution try this post: [Solved] Permission to open denied The long and the short of it is that your anti-virus software might be the culprit.

I would still recommend switching to LibreOffice anyway.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
oilyrag2

Post by oilyrag2 »

Many thanks for your guidance, downloading Libre Office cured the problem...great advice! :bravo:
Unspecified version of LibreOffice, maybe 7.6.4, downloaded 2023-12-16
Windows 10