[Solved] Scrolling text of a song

Discuss the presentation application
Bigdin

[Solved] Scrolling text of a song

Post by Bigdin »

Thanks for letting me in🙏
Hoping I can use apache open office on my Android for writing song texts. The main thing for me is it possible to scroll the song lyrics while I am playing guitar?

Many thanks Bigdin
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]; For OpenOffice use an Impress slideshow -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Android open office installed today 20/11/2023
keme
Volunteer

Re: Scrolling text of a song

Post by keme »

in the office suite Writer is the app of choice for writing songs, but to my knowledge, autoscroll is not readily available in Writer (nor in any other app in OpenOffice or related software suites).

I suggest you use the Ultimate Guitar app. AFAIK you can have your personal library of songs also in the free version, and you have access to a huge song library. There is adjustable speed autoscroll available in the UG app.

If you want a more professional layout/design for your music sheets, try MuseScore. Autoscroll may not be as smooth as in UG, but perfectly useable IIRC. There is lots of additional functionality. There is also a learning threshold (probably worth the effort ; at least for me it was).

Happy playing!

Note that MuseScore has a looser connection between the music app and the songs library. They are both there, but you may need to select them individually for install.
Bigdin

Post by Bigdin »

Hello Keme,
Appreciate your prompt reply. Shame there is no scrolling on open office. UG I have, I'm more to arranging and writing songs and UG is a bit of a struggle, you can , but it ain't so easy to go to. I'll check the Muse one.

Kind regards Denis
Android open office installed today 20/11/2023
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Shame there is no scrolling on open office.
It not needed in a text editor of an Office Suite - IMHO.

You can try put the text into some Impress slides, set your favourite automatic slide transition, and try to use the SlideShow feature.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

Here's an example
Attachments
Layla.odp
(15.08 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

While this thread has now been moved to the Impress subforum, I base my answer on the initial Writer approach. For writing, I think that Writer is really the best tool to "maintain the flow", as it were (creative flow as well as workflow).

You may be better off to use a different app for "live viewing" while you play. A kind of app that springs to mind which will autoscroll is the "teleprompter" category.

There are many titles out there, and I haven't tried any of them that I can recall, but from the web page functionality descriptions, the teleprompterpad apps look to be a nice match. You can supposedly import your odt files directly, and they have apps for the most relevant platforms (iOS, Android, Windows and MacOS) along with a lightweight (less functional) browser-based app for "universal support". The basic viewer is also free to use.

Note that I haven't done any extensive research, so there may be better tools for you out there. I see many titles which are free or carry a modest price tag.
Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

@ Bigdin

Keme wrote:
You may be better off to use a different app for viewing. A kind of app that springs to mind which will autoscroll is the "teleprompter" category.
My dear friend, another way is to copy text in jpg and multiply files with text scrolled step by step and thereupon gather all files in a gif format.

Regards

Nick
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04