[Workaround] Disable edit of items in nested group

Discuss the drawing application
alupo

[Workaround] Disable edit of items in nested group

Post by alupo »

Title says it all, a little more information:

First of all,
Options > General > Text Objects > Allow quick editing is *unchecked*

Basically, when I try to enter nested groups, the mouse cursor occasionally changes to a text-editing cursor and allows me to edit the text *prior* to actually entering the group proper. This is undesirable, I am trying to enter the group. Is this something I can turn off or adjust my workflow to get around it?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: A workaround is to use the Navigator to help with edits -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
/Alex

LibreOffice 7.5.9.2 (X84_64) on Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: How to disable text-editing feature from outside a group

Post by Lupp »

alupo wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:12 pm ...
Basically, when I try to enter nested groups, the mouse cursor occasionally changes to a text-editing cursor and allows me to edit the text *prior* to actually entering the group proper. This is undesirable, ...
I am afraid it's the beahviour many users find desirable. In fact it is not quite simple to get a specific shape being contained somewhere in a deeply nested group without having a detailed "roadmap" in mind. And this also if just a tiny piece of text editing is intended.
alupo wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:12 pm...
I am trying to enter the group. Is this {the shift to edit mode} something I can turn off or adjust my workflow to get around it?
I don't know a way to turn that beaviour off, but with your roadmap in mind you can use the context menu of the group-shape to enter groups and sub-groups level by level as needed.
To get shown the structure of a group with nested complex levels as a kind of tree, you can write user code.
::: Edit :::
You are using a recent LibreOffice. There you find an outline of all your shapes in the Navigator per drawpage as root-node regarding the groups. The group nodes can be expanded/collapsed.
Any shape you select there should be shown as selected in its actual page.
Yo can then decide if you want to edit the object (just start) or the contained text (doubleclick on the actual object).
::: /Edit :::
Last edited by Lupp on Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
alupo

Post by alupo »

I was afraid that was the answer, thanks anyway!
/Alex

Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Sorry. I hadn't used Draw much recently, and answered nevertheless without checking.
See the amendment by editing to my answer posted above.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
alupo

Post by alupo »

Thanks for the Navigator suggestion, I haven't used that before. I got some practice with it today, it's definitely going to require some getting used to but I think it does have some, albeit limited, use for my purpose.
/Alex

Nick N,

Post by Nick N, »

@ alupo

As long as I remember, you can activate text mode anywhere in the sheet by pressing F2.
If you meant that you had text in your clipboard, all you have to do is right-click and paste it in the box. You might thereupon adjust the frame for formatting the paragraph.

Regards

Nick
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04