Text within Impress not loading correctly in V3

Discuss the presentation application
somersetbill

Text within Impress not loading correctly in V3

Post by somersetbill »

Text that wraps around within it box that was created in Version 2.2 doesn't seem to be loading correctly in Version 3. Also, I cannot drag text boxes within Version 3. Click and hold just causes the text box to vanish...

Any ideas?

Am running OO in Windows XP.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Mac
acknak

Re: Text within Impress not loading correctly in V3

Post by acknak »

Would it be possible for you to attach one of your 2.2 files here? Even just a couple of slides would be enough to show the problem. You can use the "Upload Attachment" link (below the "POST REPLY" message entry area). [Forum] How to attach a document here
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hi somersetbill and welcome to the community!

Thanks for poiting to this. I had experienced it as well (both the distortion of the text box contours as well as not being able to drag it), but could not directly reproduce it, so I thought it was some flaw in my presentation file.
After you have experienced this as well, I did some more testing:
It does not occur with all text boxes, and especially it does not occur when creating new text boxes with the standard layouts or with the text box tool in 2.4.1.
I could only reproduce it by copying one of the text boxes from an old presentation (where the problem occurred) to a new one under version 2.4.1.
Thats what it looks in 2.4.1:
View_2-4-1.png
And this is what I get when I open the .odp file in 3.0:
View_3-0.png
Here is the test file:
test.odp
(11.93 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
If I export to a .ppt file in 2.4.1 and open that in 3.0, it works fine.

It is not clear to me which properties of the text box leads to the behavior.
Maybe the text box was imported from a .ppt file initially - I cannot track that anymore.

Anyway, it is quite an annoying bug! I did a thorough search in the issue tracker, but couldn't find anything.
Therefore I filed Issue 95365 about it.
Please everyone affected by this vote for the issue in the hope that it is going to be solved soon!
 Edit: Just saw that my issue was marked as a duplicate - so obviously I didn't search well (was quite hard to use the right keywords).
So please vote for Issue 93239 which currently has OOo 3.1 as target milestone - too late IMHO, as OOo 3.1 is planned for March 2009
Regards, phil
Last edited by Phil on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
somersetbill

Post by somersetbill »

Thanks for the info.

I have attached a file that has many examples of the problem. I used this file during presentations I gave in Latvia last year when I was using Version 2.2 and everything was working fine. If you want to send the attachment to back up your issue please feel free to do so. I REALLY would like to see this resolved as I use Impress a lot.

I have also tried Version 3 on my Mac mini and the problem is present there too.

Regards,

Bill
Attachments
Example problem text boxes.odp
(98.38 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hi,

just saw that my issue was marked as a duplicate of Issue 93239.
The issues already contains very good examples demonstrating the problem.
Unfortunately, it currently has OOo 3.1 as target milestone - too late IMHO, as OOo 3.1 is planned for March 2009. :cry:

Concerning your file, the text boxes seem to be broken also when opened in 2.4.1. - did you save it in 3.0?

Regards, phil
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
somersetbill

Post by somersetbill »

Oops - yes I did save it with version 3! (I'm working with 3 different machines here - no excuse I know..... but I am getting older and more forgetful.....)

I have attached another file - this time saved with version 2.1. In 2.1 it works fine (I can't test 2.2 at the moment as I need to fined somewhere to reinstall it as I (foolishly) let V 3.0 overwrite 2.2 on two of my machines. The problem is still present in V3 on both my XP and Mac machines.

Regards,

Bill
Attachments
Text Box problem oo3.odp
(101.64 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
acknak

Post by acknak »

just saw that my issue was marked as a duplicate of Issue 93239.
Unfortunately, it currently has OOo 3.1 as target milestone - too late IMHO...:cry:
No need to cry ;-) Issue Issue 93996 is already fixed, and targeted for release with OOo 3.0.1, which is planned for December (I think).

Too bad it wasn't picked up before OOo3.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
somersetbill

Post by somersetbill »

Great news that it'll be fixed. I guess I'll just revert to 2.4 until then. Many thanks for your help.

:) Bill
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

acknak wrote:No need to cry ;-)
Yes, I just saw this was a duplicate as well. :roll:
acknak wrote:Issue Issue 93996 is already fixed, and targeted for release with OOo 3.0.1, which is planned for December (I think).
Yes, exactly, it's scheduled for December 9th.
acknak wrote:Too bad it wasn't picked up before OOo3.
Yes, indeed! I hope it really makes its way to 3.0.1 then.

Regards, phil