Creating a join with a composite key

Discuss the database features
ugobananas

Creating a join with a composite key

Post by ugobananas »

It's been almost a decade since I've touched anything resembling db design and even longer since I've used a DBMS like Base or Access, and I've just started a personal project using OO Base.

I have a table called Episodes that I want to join with a table called Characters; since there can be multiple characters in multiple episodes, I've also created a table called CharEp to join the two. The primary key in Episodes is a composite key of Seasons and EpNum (two, 2-character fields that always result in a unique string). The primary key in Characters (CharID) is autovalued. CharEp should join the two; right now I've created two fields in that table: ChID and EpID where EpID should contain the composite key from Episodes.

In my mind what I want to do is join the tables something like this:

Code: Select all

INNER JOIN CharEp
ON Episodes.Season + Episodes.EpNum = CharEp.EpID

but I don't actually know HOW to achieve that in OO.

I suspect that I might just be approaching the whole setup wrong, so here I am asking for any help for the best way to set up the relationship between the two tables, Characters and Episodes; nothing is populated yet at this point so I can scrap and rework anything without any harm. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
OpenOffice 4.1.14 on Win11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Creating a join with a composite key

Post by Villeroy »

|| Is the concatenation operator.

Code: Select all

INNER JOIN "CharEp"
ON "Episodes"."Season" || "Episodes"."EpNum" = "CharEp"."EpID"
The embedded HSQL is documented here: http://www.hsqldb.org/doc/1.8/guide/ch09.html
Also relevant: http://www.hsqldb.org/doc/1.8/guide/ch06.html
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Nick N,

Re: Creating a join with a composite key

Post by Nick N, »

UgoBananas

Hi,

Mr. Villeroy's proposal is one of the multiple solutions offered to you.

You were talking about Manitou-Manitou tables relationship: in reply to above please find screenshot below.

Of course, at the time you build relationship, do not forget to select the CASCADE option on the left.

Regards

Nick
Attachments
Broadcast.png
Broadcast.png (16.63 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
Libre Office 6.0.7 on Ubuntu 18.04