Uploads: Document Files vs. Images

Talk about anything at all....
Lupp
Volunteer

Uploads: Document Files vs. Images

Post by Lupp »

Someone about to upload images should be reminded that images are useless in most cases, unless there is a specific problem concerning the View. (Exceptions perhaps with the "Draw" component.) Wherever possible, a file with a sample document should be uploaded instead.
A confimation of "I am well aware of that." should be required before the upload of an image is accepted.

The reasons are many, and may differ depending on the mainly addressed component. Nevertheless some of them are relevant in most cases. A short list of the "very general reasons":
- Threads with images may grow extremely in area.
- Images are sent automatically to the visitor. Unneeded traffic.
- Better understanding of unclear questions mostly isn't well supported.
- Experimental steps needed when looking for an answer are extremely aggravated.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
MrProgrammer

Re: Uploads: Document Files vs. Images

Post by MrProgrammer »

It will probably be much easier to upload the document instead of a screen image of it, due to the restriction on upload size (128K). A simple spreadsheet to demonstrate the difficulty might be 20K. A screen image from a desktop computer might be a megabyte. The image size can be reduced by cropping, by reducing the number of colors, or by converting it to GIF format but these are often, it seems, techniques not familiar to those posting here. Discussion about how reduce the size distracts from and delays resolution of the problem.

First, I need to guess what might be causing the problem, since the image doesn't show many important details. Then I will want to test my solution, and to do that I would have to re-type what the image shows. Both of these create unnecessary work for someone providing free help. Thus, I usually ignore posts with screen images until a document is attached. Here is text I paste in, which those familar with my posts will recognize:
If you need any additional assistance attach a spreadsheet demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the spreadsheet itself). I will not help further unless you attach.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It is quite explained in the tutorial but it can be reworded if needed: viewtopic.php?t=8289
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Respectfully: That tutorial is too long, many people will not read it to the end. And it suggests that it's okay to upload a screenshot when needed, without stating when it is needed.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I have indeed reworded that part for screenshots, feel free to propose a better wording if needed.
The first post is the main one, the others are for further details.
Lupp wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:17 pm A confimation of "I am well aware of that." should be required before the upload of an image is accepted.
But I admit that I don't fully grasp the request here. If it is to add something in the attach form, then it has to be dealt with the dev mailing list because we don't have enough karma to change such configuration.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10