[Solved] Open new documents with Writer

Discuss the word processor
2Clive35

[Solved] Open new documents with Writer

Post by 2Clive35 »

Hi Everyone

Can someone out there help me please, I trying to get Open Office to open a new text document by default.
I know I can click File, New, Text Document, but that's a pain every time I want to open it with a new blank document,

I have read on this forum someone saying click File, Templates, Organise and in the pop up dialogue on the right you will see the Command button.
Click on it and you should see Reset, all I can see after clicking the Command button is Printer Settings and Update.

I guess I've created some sort of a template by mistake and it keeps opening the template.

Can someone shed some light please.

Edit: Changed subject, was Set Document Text as New by Default/i] 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator

Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited topic's subject
OpenOffice 4.1.14 on Windows10
FJCC

Re: Set Document Text as New by Default

Post by FJCC »

If you don't see the option to Reset the Default Template, that means the default template is already in use.
Are you getting a non-blank document when you start OpenOffice or are you getting the Splash screen with icons for all the applications or is it something else?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

2Clive35 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:54 pm I trying to get Open Office to open a new text document by default.
Use a template. Create a new Writer document. Set the content to the way you want in your future Writer documents to appear. For example, use Format → Page to set its page properties like size, headers, etc. and create any styles which you want to have in your Writer documents. File → Save As → File Type → ODF Text Document Template → ✓ Automatic file name extension. Give the file a name like Writer Template.ott and save it in a convenient location, probably your desktop. When you want to create a new Writer document, instead of starting OpenOffice go to your desktop and double-click your Writer Template.ott. If OpenOffice is not running, it will start and open your template. If OpenOffice is running, it will activate and open your template.

2Clive35 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:54 pm I guess I've created some sort of a template by mistake and it keeps opening the template.
Open your Writer Template.ott. File → Templates → Save → New template → Writer Template → OK. File → Templates → Organize → double-click My Templates → single-click your Writer Template → Commands → Set as default template. This ensures that documents created with File → New → Text document will use your template.

Working with Templates

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
2Clive35

Post by 2Clive35 »

Thank you for your help Everyone.

I think I've managed to sort it now, on the desktop there is a shortcut for OpenOffice but also shortcuts for Document Text, Document Drawing, Document Spreadsheet etc.

I've been clicking on the shortcut for Document Text instead of clicking on the main OpenOffice logo.
I've now deleted these shortcuts so in future I will have click on the main OpenOffice logo shortcut and select whichever application I need from there.

Hopefully it will open in a new blank document format, if not I will be back.

Thanks again

Clive
OpenOffice 4.1.14 on Windows10