[Workaround] Download on a 2009 Macbook Pro

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
funwheels

[Workaround] Download on a 2009 Macbook Pro

Post by funwheels »

I have the Macbook pro 2009 and I cannot get the OpenOffice to download to my laptop. I have tried the recommended ways to fix this issue but it doesn't seem to be working. When I get to the download page it will do the 5 second countdown and then redirect me to another page where it then says, "safari can not open page," "Cannot establish a secure connection to the server." Im not sure what to do or how to fix this. Please help me with some recommendations. And is there any way I can talk to a live person to resolve the issue.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Seems to be a Safari issue, so check with Apple, but a workaround has been provided -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Trouble installing Open office on a Macbook pro 2009
Cary D Wilkinson
Mountaineer

Re: Trouble downloading OpenOffice on a Macbook Pro 2009

Post by Mountaineer »

I can only try an educated guess based on other "old" system I worked with.

I assume your probably quite old version of safari can not connect to current sites wich are usually tranmitted https-encrypted. Possible problems range from a wrong timecode (like my raspberry Pi, without hardware clock), over missing standards in encryption to non existing root-certificates.
If you can get a current version of mozilla firefox to your system, you may use firefox instead of safari. Mozilla brings often own certificates etc.while safari relies on the OS. So downloads may work.

Work-around: Download with another computer to usb-stick and install from there.
funwheels wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:40 pm ... And is there any way I can talk to a live person to resolve the issue.
I guess there is a lot of paid service available for your OS.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista