[Solved] Text in frames! Can't edit/delete

Discuss the word processor
toubabdoc

[Solved] Text in frames! Can't edit/delete

Post by toubabdoc »

I have a CV I created and recently edited. Now e verything appears in boxes defined by dotted lines. I can move the boxes around, but can't get rid of them or get back to an editable format. I have no idea what I did or how to get out of it. See attaachment, please. Help!!

Edit: Changed subject, was Stuff in boxes! Can't edit/delete 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Attachments
CV most most! recent doc new.odt
(31.21 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
toubabdoc
Open Office 3.1 on Windows 7
FJCC

Re: Stuff in boxes! Can't edit/delete

Post by FJCC »

I don't see any dotted boxes. All of the text is in Frames. The text within the frames can be edited. Did you intentionally use frames for every paragraph?
I don't know of a way to extract the text from frames automatically. I think you would have to copy and paste it. That will be tedious but it will be done in minutes.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
toubabdoc

Post by toubabdoc »

Thank you. So, frames is the term. OK. That will be tedious, but I'll try it. I appreciate the help!!!
toubabdoc
toubabdoc

Post by toubabdoc »

I am trying to copy=/paste into a fresh document. If I click on text inside the frame, I can highlight all the text except for the last (bottom) line.
If I click the frame itself and cut/paste it reproduces the frame in the new document and then I can't get rid of it.
Please advise?
toubabdoc
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I would not copy the frames, just the text inside them. You can then use paragraph styles to set your formatting and spacing. Use heading styles for text like Personal: and Education: and use a style like Text Body for the entries under those headings.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If all else fails, the attached zip file contains the raw text of your document which you can use to rebuild it.
Attachments
cv.zip
(3.3 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Thank you for the attachment.
toubabdoc wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 pm Now everything appears in boxes defined by dotted lines.
I also find that your text has been positioned in the Writer document using frames but do not see dotted lines. This document structure is a bit unusual, but perfectly valid. Read about frames in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about frames in the Writer Forum.

toubabdoc wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 pm I have no idea what I did or how to get out of it.
My guess is that the content was originally a PDF, and one of the PDF import extensions was used to get the content into OpenOffice. I have not used them myself, but I believe they use frames to position text on the page. This is what you said a year ago:
toubabdoc wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:36 am I converted a pdf file to odt …

toubabdoc wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:10 am I can highlight all the text except for the last (bottom) line.
After you click on the text inside a frame, Edit → Select All will select all of the text in the frame including the last line. You can select all the text, copy it to the clipboard, delete the frame, and paste the text back into the document (same one or a new one). But since you've removed the frame, you've lost the feature which positioned the text in the document, and will have to redo that positioning with paragraph settings, as one can do in any Writer document. Perhaps just leave the document structured with frames. Thre is nothing wrong with that, and it will save you some tedious work. You can edit text in frames.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Note: opens fine in AOO 4.1.11, but in LibreOffice 6.x. and 7.6.x the frame sizes are all wrong.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum