Default directory

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
eingram1

Default directory

Post by eingram1 »

Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there a configuration file that I can edit that will let me change the directory that pops up when I click on save?
I noticed that the default directory (marked be the house icon) is "My Documents". That is close but I would like to change that to a sub folder within My documents. I have done numerous searches and have been very diligent about trying to find the answer. I have also searched all the files under Program files/openoffice 3 but don't see anything that could be construed as a configuration file.
Edward E Ingram
OOo 3.2.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Re: Default directory

Post by acknak »

Tools > Options > OO.org > Paths > My Documents: ...

Please tell us if that works or not. Some people have reported problems changing the setting.

OOo may reject or ignore some things that you try to set it to, e.g. a non-existent folder, or a location you don't have permission to use.

Also not that this may not be the directory that first appears when you open the Save dialog window. This is the directory associated with the "home" button on the file dialogs.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
eingram1

Post by eingram1 »

So how do I change the directory that first appears when I open the save dialog?
Edward E Ingram
OOo 3.2.X on Ms Windows XP
bobban
Volunteer

Post by bobban »

acknak wrote:Tools > Options > OO.org > Paths > My Documents: ...
What acknak said! When you change the setting for the path of 'My Documents' (which is the actual My Documents on Windows by default), to something like 'C:\temp', then when you next save it will open up the dialog at 'C:\temp'. ;)
OOo 3.1.1 on Ms Windows XP
mlmarshal

Post by mlmarshal »

acknak:

I am one of those who cannot reset "My Documents" in Paths. I have successfully reset the graphics path, but OO3 insists on opening up at "Computer" regardless of what I've tried.

OO3.0.0, Build 9358
Vista Ultimate SP1
LibreOffice 3.4.4 on MS Windows 7
lnigra

Post by lnigra »

It would be better if I were able to actually set the home directory (I'm one where that doesn't work), but I think that even this is a terrible way for any software to work - it doesn't allow you to organize your document workspace the way you want. IMHO the only way for *any* file dialog to work is to...

First, default to the directory of the originally opened document.

Then, open up in the last directory from which something was retrieved .

This is the way most of the software I've every used behaves. I'm new to Mac, so maybe it's a Mac thing and also, maybe there's a way for me to configure it (doesn't sound like it judging by other posts). It's a huge PITA to have to drill down to get at files every time I want to insert a graphic or something. I organize my files the way I want to and I expect my software to respect that and not force me to flatten my workspace or change options every time I change documents.

I'm trying to put together an important presentation for the first time with OO on a Mac and I'm dyin' here!
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard + Win XP
emiel

Post by emiel »

Hi,
The Tools > Options > OO.org > Paths > My Documents: ...
is not working for me. This path is empty, and i cannot change it. Every time i want to open or save a file it starts in C:\Users\Emiel\AppData\Local\Temp. Pressing on standard (not sure if it says standard, i'm using a dutch version) does not have any effect, the path stays empty. When pressing edit i can select a directory but nothing changes.
I hope there is a solution for this, because it's getting really annoying.

Thanks for any help
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
acknak

Post by acknak »

It sounds like your installation is broken.

Did you install OOo yourself? If so, it may be worth trying a fresh OOo settings profile, or if that doesn't help, a re-install.
[Tutorial] The OOo user profile
emiel

Post by emiel »

Hi, thanks for your quick reply.
I have tried to reset the user profile, but unfortunately it did not help. So i removed the complete installation including all settings. The first thing i tried after re-installing Open Office is to change the path of my documents, but still the same problem. No path and not possible to add a path to my documents.
And now i noticed another problem, in calc i cannot change my page-profile. It keeps adding headers and footers to new worksheets. If i add a new, personal page-profile this profile is gone after restarting calc, or opening a new worksheet.
I don't think i will keep working with Open Office, i want to be able to make my own settings.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I believe there is a system-level setting, outside of OOo, for the location where your personal documents are located; have you tried changing that system setting? Does that setting match where you are keeping your documents?

Sorry, I can't tell you where to find that setting--I'm not that familiar with Windows.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to use the OOo dialogs in Tools>Options>OOo>General, Open/Save dialogs?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
emiel

Post by emiel »

Thanks, but the default document folder for windows is "Data (E:)". And that's the disk where i keep all my files. So that is not the problem. I am afraid is has something to do with Vista.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I really don't know how this works, so bear with me here.

So if you open a file explorer window and click to show "My Documents", you actually see files that are stored in the root directory of your E: drive--is that right?

But OOo, with a fresh, uncustomized settings profile, still uses some other location?

If so, then it sounds like a bug.