[Solved] My formatting is breaking up

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Canna W

[Solved] My formatting is breaking up

Post by Canna W »

Hi,

I would be most grateful for some help.

I use this document all the time, and alter it on a regular basis. Suddenly the formatting with some of the subtitles has started to go haywire. When I try to restore these to normality, it's as if the lines are no longer working properly. eg....

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mGYlii2" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/mGYlii2"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]. Add green tick
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 7
Canna W

Re: My formatting is breaking up

Post by Canna W »

Oh dear.... Not sure how to upload an image. I will try again...

Image[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/hills_alive/9Wp2N1f6Jh]

If I try and put this right by deleting a space at end of a line it doesn't work. It's as if the original line has split into these different lines with only a very limited amount of spaces on each line.... This line should read as one line - SMART ACRONYM & DESCRIPTION.
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 7
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Seeing an image file doesn't really help. Post up a copy of the document itself so that others can open it and try to work out what is happening. To post an attachment/file to the forum do the following: [Forum] How to attach a document here

If the document is larger than the size allowed to post, 128 KiB, then edit the copy of the document so that you provide people with a section of document in which the problem exists.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A one page example file (not an image) would allow low level examination. In what format do you Save?

Also, to permit you see what is happening in your file, enable /View /Nonprinting characters, also /view /Text boundaries.. The display these give will show onscreen internal formatting marks, which will indicate whether you have inadvertently changed formatting parameters. These onscreen displays are non-printing.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Canna W

Post by Canna W »

:LastUnicorn and RoryOF - Thank you so much for responding.

I'm not sure it would be okay for me to upload these pages as they are fairly confidential. I did however go to View and enable nonprinting characters and text boundaries, and this is what it looked like. I have realised that most of this document is fine. It just goes haywire for a few of the headings - and it is just the headings, not the body of the text that goes haywire. I tried again to re-type one of the problem headings, and it was as if Open Office had gone crazy.

Unfortunately I now no longer seem to have the option to upload the screen grab I took showing the nonprinting characters. Basically the good headings looked fine. You could clearly see the symbols where I had clicked Entry to create a new line. With the haywire entry there was no symbol to show I had pressed entry and created new lines. It seems like the programme had done this by itself, with no instructions from me...which was indeed the case. Also, as I said before, the body of the text was fine. Only the headings were affected, and only a few of the headings.
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 7
Canna W

Post by Canna W »

Sorted out.....

A friend came along and either asked the Open Office programme to repair itself, or he uninstalled and reinstalled it. Either way, thank goodness, the problem is now sorted out.
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] My formatting is breaking up

Post by RoryOF »

Good that it is solved, but you don't know what happened, or even how to cure it. It may happen again, and you will be back where you started.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Canna W

Re: [Solved] My formatting is breaking up

Post by Canna W »

Well, I also use Photoshop, and every now and then Photoshop goes a bit haywire. I have found with that by closing the programme and rebooting my computer, Photoshop usually rights itself. I presumed that the same thing happened with Open Office this morning. TBH I am an elderly and very ignorant computer user - I'm just grateful that things have resolved themselves.

However please make no mistake, I am extremely grateful for this forum, which has helped me on various occasions. In this instance I'm just crossing my fingers that things will be okay.

Thanks again for your help.
Open Office 4.0.1
Windows 7