[Issue] Make a template with the numbering system I want

Using them, Making them, Finding them
BadHairDay

[Issue] Make a template with the numbering system I want

Post by BadHairDay »

Hi,

I am able to make a template of a .ott file so that when I open it, it has the font (Verdana) and point size (14) I want for my default. I call it "basic.ott"

I also want it to have the bulleted numbered list have some modifications to it as the default in my basic.ott

Things I want:
Each number (all 10 levels) is followed by a space instead of a tab
level 1 is numbers
level 2 is capital letters
level 3 is numbers again
level 4 is lower case letters
level 5 is lower case roman numerals
level 6 is capital letters again

I can make those changes to a single document, but I can't get those changes to save into my basic template.

What am I missing?

Happy to watch a video or read a chapter of a guide.

Thanks,

BHD
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged issue.
OpenOffice 4.1.14 on Win 11
FJCC

Re: make a template with the numbering system I want

Post by FJCC »

I have not used this feature, so my explanation might not be the best.
You need to set up a Numbering style in the template and apply that when you want use your custom numbering. Open the Styles and Formatting dialog (menu Format -> Styles and Formatting or use the dialog in the Sidebar) and select the rightmost icon from the five small icons near the top left. You should see a list of List and Numbering styles. Right click on Numbering1 and choose either Modify or New. If you choose New, give the style a name on the Organizer tab. On the Options tab, sequentially choose levels 1 through 6 and set the Numbering list box to the kind of symbol you want for that level. Then go to the Position tab and again choose each level, set Numbering Followed By to a space and set Aligned At and Indent At to the desired numbers. Save the template as usual.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
BadHairDay

Re: make a template with the numbering system I want

Post by BadHairDay »

I did that, and it works.

HOWEVER...

Now that I have my own custom number format, how do I make it so that is the default number format for anytime I type "1. item (enter)" because I want to begin a new numbered list?

Or do I have to edit whatever the default is and change that to the way I want it?

Thank you so much, this has been hugely helpful. I've wanted to do this for years and years, and now I'm finally learning how to do it. :)
Hagar Delest

Re: Make a template with the numbering system I want

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can't yet.

See: [Issue] How to make this numbered list the default?. Issues 46184 and 69459.

You have to use a style, whatever it is.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
BadHairDay

Re: Make a template with the numbering system I want

Post by BadHairDay »

Thanks for that link. I'll figure out how to vote and then vote for that issue. :) TYSM