[Issue] Maximum footnote height

Discuss the word processor
Butch1

[Issue] Maximum footnote height

Post by Butch1 »

I am constantly struggling with various blemishes that occur in Writer with my numerous footnotes. One of them: when a very long footnote is wrapped and continued on the next page, there is occasionally an incomprehensibly high empty space above this continuation (i.e. between normal page text and continuation of the footnote), which is not used for no apparent reason. I have tried to find the corresponding setting options and come to the following result:

In the Page Style, under "Footnote", you can indeed set the "Footnote area", also to "Not longer than page area". According to my logic, this should prevent the above problem - but it does not. So I experimented with the second option, i.e. with the manual specification "Maximum footnote height" in cm. But it turns out that, for example, on an A4 page, any higher specification is automatically drastically reduced to 20.36 cm (with "Default Page Stayle"). So there seems to be such a stricter restriction of the maximum height, which is obviously also effective with setting "Not longer than page area".

Any ideas?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged issue.
LibreOffice 7.4.5.1 (Portable)
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: Maximum footnote height

Post by JeJe »

If you create a text section and choose - collect at end of text - for the footnotes they will continue on to the following page at the top of the page.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Butch1

Post by Butch1 »

Thanks, JeJe, but unfortunately I don't understand your tip. I'm using the German user interface and have a hard time mapping the menu items.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Oops... there looks to be a problem with my suggestion anyway - its fine until the document is reopened... then the footnote is shrunken to what fits on the page and has the same red triangle you get in a text frame

See the attached document. If you type something at the end of the long footnote the red triangle disappears and it spreads to the next page as I think you want it. Reopen and the triangle is back unfortunately... sorry.
Attachments
section footnote.odt
(10.47 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Butch1

Post by Butch1 »

Thanks, JeJe, for your efforts!

In the meantime, after further experiments, I see that the problem is more general and clearly has to do with the strange limitation of the FN height (e.g. to 20.36 cm on an A4 page in Default Page Style). Below a demo image:

After the short text above (in which two footnotes are inserted) I inserted a hard page break. The second footnote wraps at the bottom and continues on the next page, but just way too early, creating the blank space above the footnotes. (The cobblers etc. are not activated in the FN!).

Does anyone here perhaps have any idea where this limitation of the FN height comes from and where it could possibly be changed?
FN_Demo.jpg
FN_Demo.jpg (24.71 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My recollection is that the red triangle will ultimately disappear (perhaps slowly) as the associated text is re-positioned by the layout engine. The continuing footnote on the next page may be influenced by the Text Flow settings for the paragraph styles used in the footnotes.

Again, a recollection: the footnote height on subsequent pages is a code limitation to about 75-80% of the page height. I investigated it once and don't remember that I found a way to change it apart from delving into the OO code.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Butch1

Post by Butch1 »

RoryOF

Re: [Issue] Maximum footnote height

Post by RoryOF »

Most authoritative sources on typesetting have little to say on the layout of multi-page footnotes; in general they recommend that footnotes be set in a type size two sizes smaller than the main text and care be taken that any continuation footnotes are not easily confused with continuation of the main text.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: [Issue] Maximum footnote height

Post by JeJe »

If you use a section with an endnote, the endnote can spread across pages and continues from the top of the following page without the red triangle. You'd need to add hidden footnotes so the numbers for subsequent footnotes start at the right number. See attached document.
Attachments
endnote.odt
(10.47 KiB) Downloaded 62 times