[Solved] Recover document versions

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Seraphim Sarov

[Solved] Recover document versions

Post by Seraphim Sarov »

Using OpenOffice Writer on MacBook Pro, is it possible to recover previous versions of a document?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office Writer 4.1.5; mac OS Big Sur 11.4
FJCC

Re: Recover document versions

Post by FJCC »

There might be one backup copy. On a Mac, I think the menu you need is under OpenOffice -> Preferences. Expand the Load/Save category on the left and pick General. If the box Always Create a Backup Copy is checked, then there should be a version on the path defined for backups. You can see that path by expanding the OpenOffice list on the left and selecting Paths.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

s it possible to recover previous versions of a document?
Yes, if you have saved it with a different name or into a different place. (If you have backup copies.)

Always create more than one backup copies of your important documents.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Seraphim Sarov

Post by Seraphim Sarov »

Thanks. The previous versions are not saved. I checked "Always create backup copy" box for the future, but I suppose my previous versions of the document are lost and unrecoverable.
Open Office Writer 4.1.5; mac OS Big Sur 11.4
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

For your future use you might want to give the TimeStamp Backup extension a try. You can get basic details here: TimeStamp Backup

However, it is best to download from here: TimeStamp Backup (latest version). The version there is the most recent one.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Seraphim Sarov wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:14 pm … on [MacOS], is it possible to recover previous versions of a document?
Yes, if you created them. See File → Versions → Help. Also read about versions saved by MacOS.

Mac FAQ Q23/A23: How do I backup OpenOffice files on my Mac?
Mac FAQ Q24/A24: How do I restore OpenOffice files from backups?

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).