Base on Linux Mint

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
jankom

Base on Linux Mint

Post by jankom »

The hard drive on my HP laptop is failing (xuubuntu, LibreOffice), so I bought a new HP laptop, but installed Linux Mint (a simpler ubuntu variant). Mint also uses LibreOffice, but I decided to replace it with Apache Open Office. I have successfully installed that on my Gentoo desktop machine, and was able to access and work on my odb files residing on the old HP laptop (mounted with sshfs). The old HP was the mysql server.
Now on my new HP laptop (Linux Mint) I did install Apache OpenOffice, and everything works except the base module. Yes, I installed the mysql server, duplicated settings, privileges from my old HP laptop. and the "mysql>" part of it works, I can work on my databases copied over from my old HP.
However, and here comes my request for help:
OpenOffice base - I can connect using the downloaded mysql jar connector, I can open my odb file, but
(1) I can only open tables, cannot open forms (crashes)
(2) Even if I just open a table and close the whole thing OO crashes, then recovers.
Interestingly, if I open ~/.openoffice/4/user/database/biblio.odb (the file that came with the installation) everything works, no crash.
Attached are screenshots that should help understanding what I just described.

As I said, I was able to work remotely from a gentoo, non-distro openoffice installation with odb files on the old HP having LibreOffice odb file, but now cannot use those odb files copied over from the failed old HP with my Linux Mint non-distro openoffice installation.

So far I'm OK, because I can work in "mysql>", or directly on tables in base (and then crashes-recovers), but what is the problem, what did I do or not do wrong?

Thank you for your attention,

jankom
Attachments
Screenshot at 2023-05-06 14-10-22.png
Screenshot at 2023-05-06 14-10-22.png (13.69 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Screenshot at 2023-05-05 15-59-38.png
Screenshot at 2023-05-05 15-59-38.png (22.59 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Screenshot at 2023-05-05 15-53-56.png
Screenshot at 2023-05-05 15-53-56.png (7.78 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Janos - Gentoo linux profile 5 (Desktop), OpenOffice 4.1.13
Mountaineer

Re: base on Linux Mint

Post by Mountaineer »

jankom wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:20 pm .. .
Interestingly, if I open ~/.openoffice/4/user/database/biblio.odb (the file that came with the installation) everything works, no crash.
Doesn't help much, as the predefined bibliography is a dBase file. All we know is, your Base is installed, as you can see dBase-files and even open MySQL.

Have you tried to create a new form?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: base on Linux Mint

Post by Villeroy »

jankom wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:20 pm Mint also uses LibreOffice, but I decided to replace it with Apache Open Office.
I can't use OpenOffice Base on my Ubuntu box. It crashes crashes every time when I focus a table control on a form until I boot Wayland instead of X11.
Why do you expect a completely unmaintained software to run on a newly set up system?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
jankom

Re: Base on Linux Mint

Post by jankom »

@Mountainer
Have you tried to create a new form?
No. It is on my debug list.
@Villery Apeche Open Office is being maintained, and I thought that both forks (Oracle and Apache) are based on staroffice which I started to use nearly 25 years ago (on vindooz). Then it turned into OpenOffice, then LibreOffice. I sort of prefer Apache flavor.
Yes, all other files created by OLO (write or calc) I open now in AOO has an initial message, that it is not compatible, but then everything works, and if I save it with AOO thtere is no more problem, no crash. It looks like base files (odb) created by OLO create a crash if opened by AOO. Too bad,

Maybe I'll have to give up and reinstall the distro standard OLO in my new Mint.

Don't give up yet...

Thanks for your comments.

jankom
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

jankom wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:14 am ...
Yes, all other files created by OLO (write or calc) I open now in AOO has an initial message, that it is not compatible, but then everything works, and if I save it with AOO ...
You can tell also LibreOffice to save always in ODF1.2-files. IMHO you will need the newer standard mostly for some newer features like digital signing, but there may be other new features, I never heard of...

As Villeroy has the same problem, I assume maintainers omitted some code for base. As the often leave out base completely, this will usually not be noticed... The question is, which part of the code is missing.

Also I'm not aware AOO has done the transition to python 3, so some parts may fail on linux, while Windows could use the bundled python2.7.
See:
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=123975
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
jankom

Re: Base on Linux Mint -almost SOLVED

Post by jankom »

I have fixed sshfs connection to the new HP laptop (Linux Mint), had to adjust some other things in msql cnf and user data, but now I can access the odb file residing on the new HP laptop from my Gentoo desktop machine, and it WORKS!

Both the Mint and Gentoo machines have only AOO, but it only works from Gentoo.

Apparently the problem has to do with gui (display manager, session manager, X, qt python, whatever). My gentoo machine is very basic, just an X server takes care of the gui. The Mint machine is more sophisticated (compositor, whatever), and apparently crashes when opens an AOO Form. Opening a Table is OK.

Yes, my Form includes a macro that resizes the opening window to a meaningful dimension. Evidently it is the VB code that conflicts with gui in the Mint machine.

My problem with OLO is exactly the gui part: (yes it is not a walking dead, constantly maintained = update, bloated) because it has its own mind and a very user-unfriendly way to influance what an opened window dimension should be.

B.t.w I tried "unset SESSION_MANAGER" as in the AOO README file, but it still hangs in Mint.

jankom - and thanks for the comments
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

A database document should reside on a local drive with read and write access. This is the first thing I would try.
jankom

Post by jankom »

Yes, the penztar_base.odb "database document" is "on a local drive with read and write access", and it hung/crashed.

This is why I posted my initial submission.

jankom
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

With OpenOffice Base on Gentoo you are all alone, I'm afraid.