[Solved] Features which Excel can't save in ODS format

Talk about anything at all....
gremlinkurst
Banned

[Solved] Features which Excel can't save in ODS format

Post by gremlinkurst »

I started using office suites before Microsoft had released their first version of Excel; my first spreadsheet application was Lotus 1-2-3...which, in my opinion, Microsoft "borrowed heavily" from (but that's not the issue). I am also familiar with Corel's office ssuite and Linux's LibreOffice, but for around twenty years, when not on Linux, I used mostly Excel, Calc running a close second.

Because of that, whenever I create and edit a Microsoft document, I make a backup in OpenOffice format Because every once in a while Microsoft Office "realizes" it's not a registered copy (total garbage, as I do not engage in, nor do I support piracy), so it's "insurance" to have all my latest data available to OpenOffice when Microsoft Office fails. Anyway, when I save aan XLSX document in ODS format, I get a standard warning that "certain features are not available." I'm wondering just which features those are.

I haven't noticed any features that I use in Excel not being available in Calc. Basically I use spreadsheets to maintain financial records and keep track of appointments, et cetera. The "fanciest" I get is using formulae to automatically transfer a value from one page of a workbook to the next, maintaining mathematical continuity, and Clac doesn't have a problem with it, either.

I'm seriously considering abandoning Microsoft Office altogether—those people can be a real pain in the tuchas, and Calc works great, and there's no grief, ever.

Edit: Changed subject, was Which Excel features are not available in Calc's ODS format? 
The question is about saving in Excel, not about Calc. Topic moved to General Discussion forum.
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 is installed on the latest up-to-date version of Microsoft's Windows 11
MrProgrammer

Re: Which Excel features are not available in Calc's ODS format?

Post by MrProgrammer »

gremlinkurst wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:53 am Which Excel features are not available in Calc's ODS format?
If the message occurs when you're using Calc to save in ODS format, review this information:
Differences in use between Calc and Excel
[Tutorial] Differences between Microsoft and AOO/LO files

This is an OpenOffice forum and not an Excel forum. If the message occurs when you're using Excel to save in ODS format, you have an Excel question and so need to ask Microsnot what features Excel doesn't support in ODS documents.

Edit: 
gremlinkurst wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:53 am I'm seriously considering abandoning Microsoft Office altogether …
2024-03-01: This clown wants to switch from Microsnot to OpenOffice but then he repeatedly trolls us and gets banned! LOL. I wonder where he's going to get help.  

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
crusader
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Which Excel features are not available in Calc's ODS format?

Post by crusader »

gremlinkurst wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:53 am I'm seriously considering abandoning Microsoft Office altogether—those people can be a real pain in the tuchas, and Calc works great, and there's no grief, ever.
Just had to respond to this.

I dumped M$ a long time ago in favor of OO (and then LO). I am proud of my decision each time I use Calc. Excel offers very little that Calc doesn't have (yes, things are changing essentially everyday - on both sides). Calc is powerful enough to meet above-average users' needs.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Your signature is:
I suggest you to use the LibreOffice. It has a littlebit higher compatibility (relative to the AOO) with the never standardized obsolete file formats like the .xls, and with the partially standardized foreign formats like the .xlsx.

Always store your important documents into the native file formats of the actually used office suite.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
gremlinkurst
Banned

Post by gremlinkurst »

Zizi64 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:26 pmI suggest you to use the LibreOffice. It has a littlebit higher compatibility (relative to the AOO) with the never standardized obsolete file formats like the .xls, and with the partially standardized foreign formats like the .xlsx.

Always store your important documents into the native file formats of the actually used office suite.
I appreciate your suggestion. I'm going to give LibreOffice a try. I started using office suites back before Microsoft had released Excel, starting with Lotus 1-2-3. I've also used Corel's office suite, and another I can't recall at the moment. I'm not exactly a low-level user. I like MSO's Excel because I could use it not only to link cells in another page of the same workbook or cells to those in a different workbook , but I could also write code in Visual Basic. I don't have much use for the code-writing anymore, but I like getting the most versatility that I can out of using spreadsheets, which actually have a large variety of everyday applications.

I have two powerful computers and a single-user license on each one for MSO 2019, this one, my custom-built desktop, and the other, a Victus laptop shipped with that office suite. The MSO I have on this one, however, keeps asking me to authenticate, and it's royally pissing me off, so I'm firing Microsoft's product from my desktop. I look forward to exploring LibreOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 is installed on the latest up-to-date version of Microsoft's Windows 11
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

The links given by MrProgrammer in the first reply here should give a fairly complete overview.

Personal account, off the cuff (The most prominent differences in my day to day work):
  • Excel's database ranges do not translate well to Calc. This can be an issue when using Excel files created by MS Forms, which rely heavily on this feature.
  • Calc is less "aggressive" in attempting to interpret explicitly textual input as numerical. To me this is a Calc feature, which I use frequently when opening CSV data from our administrative systems' "excel export", when Excel messes up the dataset.
  • The help system in Calc shows you where to find the requested functionality (so you need to select it from the relevant menu/toolbar) while Excel help will present the tool "up front" (which saves you a click or two at search time). My issue with the Excel way is that you don't learn where to find the functionality within in the application tools, so you need to type the search term again next time. With Calc's approach, you learn the shortcuts.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

The following link compares Libre and MS-Office, but it is more feature compare, than a detailed analysis:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Fea ... oft_Office
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista