Printing problem since new modem

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
rck1248

Printing problem since new modem

Post by rck1248 »

Since installing a new modem, after dropping cable from Exfinity, I am not able to print docs from Open Office
OpenOffice4 on Windows 10
Windows 10 64 bits
RoryOF

Re: Printing problem since new modem

Post by RoryOF »

Download the latest driver for your printer from manufacturers site and install it. Don't rely on Windows to do it for you - it often makes bad choices on drivers.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rck1248

Post by rck1248 »

The printer prints from my laptop but not from Open Office. I don't see how the driver update applies
Windows 10 64 bits
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sometimes OpenOffice has proved sensitive to the order of installation of printer drivers. Your addition of a new modem may have upset this, and if reinstalling printer drivers, there is no point in installing an outdated one.

But it is your decision and your computer that is not working correctly; do as you wish.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you export to PDF, can you print that PDF?
Did you try with other applications?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rck1248

Post by rck1248 »

How do I export to a PDF ??? And what do I do when I do that to get the doc to print?
Thank you for the info but I am 77 and not as tech-savvy as many of you.
I have No problem printing from my laptop only from O.F
Windows 10 64 bits
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

In the toolbar there is button to exprt directly to PDF (with the PDF icon).
Or menu File > Export as > Export as PDF.
Then print the resulting file (open it with your PDF viewer, all operating systems have one installed by default).
rck1248

Post by rck1248 »

Hager, I did as you suggested but received a message "you're not connected to the internet" I then connected my laptop to my printer via USB cable.
"Not connected to printer"
I then tried to update the printer driver. after doing a diagnostic/network check via Canon that said everything was ok.
From my printer manual, I went to "troubleshooting" and click on "update printer driver" I entered my printer Pixma MX 512
Browser detected (Windows 10 and my printer was listed but no instructions on how to proceed with the download.
I have a feeling that since I am out of warranty Canon will not help. I will never buy another Canon printer again.
Thank you for all your help I don't know what else to do. As I mentioned, I received a new Modem/router from Comcast after dropping TV. I could not print until I re-installed the set-up CD Rom . I can printfrom my Lap-top but not from Apache "Open Office"
Windows 10 64 bits
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The downloads are usually blue, which indicates a live link; even if not, they can be a live link. You double click on the name and the file will start to download. As it is years since I used Windows, I cannot say if the file will automatically install after that, or if you need to click on the finished download to cause it to install.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

rck1248 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:20 pm The printer prints from my laptop but not from Open Office. I don't see how the driver update applies
That is something I don't understand. What do you mean by "from my laptop"?
I took for granted that OpenOffice was installed on your laptop. Thus, printing should work either from OpenOffice or from any other application.
There is no need to connect the internet to print.
Have you tried to print a PDF?
rck1248

Post by rck1248 »

That's the problem. To be more precise I can print from Gmail but for some reason not anything from Apache Open Office. STRANGE
Windows 10 64 bits
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

You seem to have a surprising knack of not answering the questions that will allow people to help you. Answer the following questions in order.

1) Is OpenOffice installed on your laptop computer?

2) When you say that you can print from other programs, are those programs installed on your laptop computer?

3) What happens when you launch OpenOffice, export the file as a PDF, and then try to printout that PDF? (Note that when you try to print the PDF you should be doing so from an program that is designed to read PDF files — that might be your web browser, on the other hand it might not, it depends how you have your system setup.)
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
rck1248

Post by rck1248 »

From the Canon manual " Trouble Shooting " Update Printer Driver" Browser Windows 10 "detected Printer Pixma MX 512 "detected"
Under detected items was a message if your browser is not listed go below to select it. nothing to click on to select my printer to start the driver update.
Windows 10 64 bits
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You don't seem to understand the questions we ask. You should ask a friend to help you.