Screen skips when I click save?

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
yohejohn

Screen skips when I click save?

Post by yohejohn »

Hello,

I brought this up in the forums a few years ago, but still happens:

When I'm editing/revising in a LibreOffice word document (version 7.0.4.2 now) and I leave the cursor on one page while continuing reading and scrolling down, if I decided to 'save' the document, the screen zooms back up to where cursor is. Not the end of the world, but distracting, since I have to then scroll down and find where I was.

Any possibility of a fix on this? Or...what is the reason that LibreOffice (and, I assume, OpenOffice) does this?

Thanks,

John
 Edit: Courtesy links:
Pages/view jerks suddenly when I click Save      Your post from July 2021
Bug 41063 - Saving/Autosaving (Save/Autosave) while in table causes view to jump to cursor position  
Bug 135244 - Document (still) scrolling to cursor position on different occurrences
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator  
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add courtesy links
LIbreOffice Version 7.0.4.2
Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2
FJCC

Re: Screen skips when I click save?

Post by FJCC »

I just tested this in OpenOffice and the page does not jump to the cursor upon saving. I tested on a Windows 10 system.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try to upgrade. Tested with LO 7.4 on my xubuntu machine and no problem. I use the same version on my Windows 10 machine and I don't recall that behavior.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Probably related to the current bug in LO where the cursor position is lost on save.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

John_Ha wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:48 pm Probably related to the current bug in LO where the cursor position is lost on save.
I don't think it's related.

Note that I just made a quick test with LO 7.4.4.2 on my xubuntu machine: I put the cursor on a page, then scrolled on another page. Save, close LO, relaunch LO and load the file. The last viewed page was displayed. If i hit the cursor arrows key, then LO jumps to the last position cursor position, with the effect of the arrow key.

Which means there could be a "double" feature: save the last viewed position and the last edited position. The former being displayed by default and the latter being displayed when an edit has to be done (through the keyboard).
cwolan

Post by cwolan »

Hagar Delest wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:11 pm Which means there could be a "double" feature: save the last viewed position and the last edited position. The former being displayed by default and the latter being displayed when an edit has to be done (through the keyboard).
Are you referring to the attributes stored in the internal settings.xml file?
They are: ViewLeft, ViewTop and VisibleLeft, VisibleTop, VisibleRight, VisibleBottom.
OpenOffice 1.1.5 – 4.1.15
LibreOffice 3.3.0.4 – 7.6.6
Windows 7,10,11 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I was only aware of ViewLeft and ViewTop from ODT's settings.xml, that were for the cursor position.
Meaning that there is also VisibleLeft and VisibleTop, for the last viewed position?
cwolan

Post by cwolan »

That's my opinion after looking at the source code.
See for yourself, the source file: /core/sw/source/uibase/uiview/view.cxx
methods: WriteUserData, ReadUserData, ReadUserDataSequence and WriteUserDataSequence
OpenOffice 1.1.5 – 4.1.15
LibreOffice 3.3.0.4 – 7.6.6
Windows 7,10,11 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Way above my skills. I'm no coder at all. Macros (in a limited way) are the closest to code that I can achieve.