Transfer recipes from Onenote to OpenOffice?

Talk about anything at all....
Sylvie

Transfer recipes from Onenote to OpenOffice?

Post by Sylvie »

Hi just starting and I have a lot to transfer to OpenOffice...1st how do I easily transfer recipe notes from onenote to open office? And then word docs and excel documents from Microsoft 365?
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Windows windows 11 home
LastUnicorn

Re: Transfer recipes fr Onenote to OpenOffice?

Post by LastUnicorn »

As you are just starting the best advice you could get would be to forget about OpenOffice. Download and install LibreOffice instead. It is actively developed, OpenOffice isn't and is dying a slow death. LibreOffice will manage to deal with your 'conversion' of your Microsoft Office documents more ably than OpenOffice. That said, LibreOffice isn't perfect in this regard but is in a better position to do so than OpenOffice. There are other good reasons to switch to LibreOffice, some of which are given here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

P.S. This forum quite happily deals with LibreOffice too, not just OpenOffice.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Sylvie

Post by Sylvie »

Ok tx for that ... I was also pondering which one to download there's so many different reasons between the 2 And I only want to do this once then cancel Microsoft office subscription….I will definitely check the link...
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Windows windows 11 home
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Be sure to download the "This version is slightly older ..." version. The other version is bleeding edge and likely to have more bugs.
Sylvie wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:06 pm how do I easily transfer recipe notes from onenote to open office?
It seems Onenote files are .one. Can you use Onenote to save a document as a .doc or .docx file? If not, you may need to Google for ideas - see convert onenote to word. You can, of course, just open the file in Onenote and select everything, copy it and paste it into a Writer file.
Sylvie wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:06 pm And then word docs and excel documents from Microsoft 365?
LO works with .doc, .docx, .xls and .xlsx files and can open them, edit them, and save them. We normally advise people always to save their files as .odt (Writer) and .ods (Calc) files in preference to .doc, .docx, .xls or .xlsx file. In practuce, you are unlikely to be using the more esoteric features of LO so saving as .docx and .xlsx should be fine.
Attachments
Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard01.gif (46 KiB) Viewed 6310 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

I agree with John — I prefer to use LibreOffice Still edition (i.e. the older version on offer). It is more likely to have had any major bugs ironed out.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I tend to agree with the advice on using LibreOffice.

For your specific query about recipes, note (sic!) that OneNote is a different beast from the "regular" Office apps. The smooth (at least in theory) solution for sharing, and organising various types of information embedded as encapsulated "boxes" on pages, sorted to tabs and sectioned in folders, all in one package, is not freely available in these suites. You need to decide how you want to organize your recipes. Better think through that first. Either way, you most likely need to copy recipes from OneNote one by one, or page by page, and paste to a file in the Office suite and the specific app of your choice.

Recipes are text content, so the obvious soluition is Writer. The extreme cases are:
  • You can have one file for each recipe, and organize in disk folders (and if needed, subfolders)
  • You can have one file holding all your recipes, with chapters for each type of food and subsections for grouping within each chapter.
There are different strategies in between. Files with multiple similar recipes, organized in folders or by a naming scheme. Which is best for you? We don't know.

Also, recipes have a lot of info about specific amounts of ingredients. A Calc file facilitates adjusting recipes for larger batches. You will of course have to devise the formulas yourself. How you organize your individual recipes is a similar choice as with Writer, but making an entire cookbook in Calc is not something I would recommend.

For a professional kitchen, everything would be in a database. Base is also a beast of its own. Setting up the structures to make it work requires some specific skills. I assume that you do not need this. Don't go there (at least not on your own).
 Edit: If you really want it (re John_Ha's comment below) rather use a premade recipes database app. Either way, expect some work on data entry before you are ready to use it. Cut and paste will be one small bit at a time. 
Or you can use some external note taking app. Which one to choose depends on whether your priority is organising, sharing, beautifying, integration with your other software or something else.
https://www.g2.com/products/microsoft-o ... ternatives
Last edited by keme on Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

keme wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:16 pm For a professional kitchen, everything would be in a database. Base is also a beast of its own. Setting up the structures to make it work requires some specific skills. I assume that you do not need this. Don't go there (at least not on your own).
A huge advantage of a database is that you can easily search for all recipes with, say, aubergine or casserole or roasted ...

See 8 Best Recipe Database Software Of 2022 (Free & Paid)
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.