[Solved] Configuration has gone back to default

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
BasePlayer

[Solved] Configuration has gone back to default

Post by BasePlayer »

When I opened OpenOffice this morning, I got the screen that invited me to enter my name and initials. This should have been a warning that something was not right, but I went ahead without thinking.
Of course now I don't have my usual setup, but when I look in the config folder, the files have dates going back to 2013, 2014, and 2020 so nothing appears to have changed. The date of the config folder itself, however, has changed to today's date. I tried renaming the OpenOffice folder as per your excellent tutorial for rescuing this situation under Windows 10, but it made no difference.
I also tried renaming the .xcu file, but all that happened was that a new one was created.
Can I still recover access to my configuration files, or will I have to just start again?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Keith
(Open Office Ver 4.1.11 on Windows 10)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Configuration has gone back to default

Post by John_Ha »

The vast majority of config data is held in the file registrymodifications.xcu.

See the tutorial on resetting your profile - it looks like it has become corrupted and a new, default profile automatically created.

Why? Probably because the PC crashed or you slammed the laptop lid shut before the write buffers had been flushed.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
BasePlayer

Post by BasePlayer »

Thanks John

Yes, it was an unexpected power outage! I guess the moral is to keep a backup of the user/apps/roaming folder, or at least a note somewhere of all the changes made to the configuration.
Keith
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

BasePlayer wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:55 pm I guess the moral is to keep a backup of the user/apps/roaming folder ...
I have to be very selective about what I backup in ...\user\apps\roaming as it is many GB of data.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
BasePlayer

Post by BasePlayer »

Thanks for the info, John
Keith
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Configuration has gone back to default

Post by Hagar Delest »

Backup the whole OpenOffice directory except the /backup folder that can contain lots of documents.
Note that it will also backup the macros, it is useful when you have lots of them, especially if you created them, without equivalence available on the web. You can also package your custom macros in an extension so that you can reinstall them on another machine for example.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
BasePlayer

Re: [Solved] Configuration has gone back to default

Post by BasePlayer »

Thanks Hagar
Keith