[Solved] Recover lost documents on old computer

Talk about anything at all....
soulspirit

[Solved] Recover lost documents on old computer

Post by soulspirit »

hi , some time ago i did some work on an old computer on apache openoffice but the computer died . i bought a new laptop recently and downloaded apache but how do i find the work i previously did on my old computer? i would really appreciate some help please. thanks

Edit: Changed subject, was Recovering lost documents 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
open office 4 . windows11
RoryOF

Re: recovering lost documents

Post by RoryOF »

The work is on your old computer. The Recent Documents utility in OpenOffice is merely a quick access pointer to the location on the current computer where the file lives. It is not a pointer to a cloud storage location. If you have access to your old computer, you may be able to load the file(s) to a USB stick and transfer them to your new computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Recovering lost documents

Post by John_Ha »

soulspirit wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:56 pm hi , some time ago i did some work on an old computer on apache openoffice but the computer died .
As the computer is dead you need to remove the hard disk from it and connect it to your new PC (or to another PC) so that the files can be copied from it. Ask someone who is computer literate to help you or take your old PC and a memory stick (for the files to be copied to) to a PC shop.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.