Export .xlsx file from Quickbooks

Talk about anything at all....
awascholl

Export .xlsx file from Quickbooks

Post by awascholl »

I use Quickbooks desktop on Windows, and I can export to an .xlsx file if I have Excel. However, on my new computer, I don't have it, and I prefer not to, but my only option is to export to a .csv file which I then have to format.

Is it possible to get Quickbooks to recognize OpenOffice as a means for exporting?

Edit: Changed subject, was Exporting to Quickbooks? 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Exporting to Quickbooks?

Post by John_Ha »

I assume you mean importing from Quickbooks.

AOO can open both xlsx and csv files. Try it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
awascholl

Re: Exporting to Quickbooks?

Post by awascholl »

John_Ha wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:45 pm I assume you mean importing from Quickbooks.

AOO can open both xlsx and csv files. Try it.
Yes, you're right, exporting from Quickbooks.

However, Quickbooks is set up to export to .xlsx only if I have Microsoft Excel installed, which is what I hope to change if I can find an option.
MrProgrammer

Re: Export .xlsx file from Quickbooks

Post by MrProgrammer »

awascholl wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:48 pm However, Quickbooks is set up to export to .xlsx only if I have Microsoft Excel installed, which is what I hope to change if I can find an option.
I suspect that Quickbooks calls Excel to create the .xlsx file. Thus if Excel is not available on your computer Quickbooks can only offer .csv as an option. The question has nothing to do with OpenOffice. It is a Quickbooks question and you should ask them why their software has this restriction. And you can ask them to offer creation of .ods files if OpenOffice is installed. There is no reason Quickbooks can't call OpenOffice to create .ods files. Tell them that millions of people use OpenOffice.

[Example] Loading CSV into preformatted spreadsheets

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).