[Solved] Recovery of document is in a constant loop

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
meggienotts

[Solved] Recovery of document is in a constant loop

Post by meggienotts »

Hi. I am not very IT savvy when it comes to troubleshooting. I have Windows 10 on my laptop. I had a document that needed to be recovered, which appears to be recovered successfully. But then each time I open an existing document, a new window opens to do a Document Recovery every time. I repeat the recovery but it never ends. Please help
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue May 16, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.11.13 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: recovery of a document is in a constant loop

Post by RoryOF »

When prompted for Recovery, press Cancel.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
meggienotts

Post by meggienotts »

Hi. Yes, I do press Cancel...but it does not stop the same happening to each document I open after that. I have pressed Recover - but then when I open another document, the same window opens to prompt Recovery and this time I press Cancel. But the issue is not solved. The same issue continues and never ends.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If this is happening regularly and with different documents, possibly the last document you have edited, you need to change your method of working. Close a document using /File /Close in OpenOffice , then close OpenOffice itself, either with /File /Close (again) or /File /Exit, and delay for a few seconds before closing a laptop lid, or cutting power to a desktop.

The few seconds need only be as long as you need to gather your papers and pends - 5 or so; this permits the internal write buffers of the computer and hard drives to flush.
meggienotts

Post by meggienotts »

Hi again. Really appreciate you helping. I closed a document exactly as you said and also Open Office itself. Waited. Then I closed the laptop lid. Waited. Opened up another document - but same problem persists I'm afraid.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Of late at this forum there have been multiple posts from people facing issues with OpenOffice on Windows 10 and 11 systems. Often times the issues get solved by just switching from OpenOffice to LibreOffice. There are several good reasons for making that switch some of which are given here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

If it was me in your position I would give LibreOffice a try.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

meggienotts wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:26 pm Hi again. Really appreciate you helping. I closed a document exactly as you said and also Open Office itself. Waited. Then I closed the laptop lid. Waited. Opened up another document - but same problem persists I'm afraid.
Is it always the same file it is prompting you to recover, or the last file you edited? If I remember correctly, the Recovery prompt tells the name of the file it is trying to recover.
meggienotts

Post by meggienotts »

Hi. It is always the same file it is prompting me to recover. Not the last file.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In that case, a solution is often to rename your OpenOffice User Profile; details are given at
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... hp?t=99158
meggienotts

Re: Recovery of document is in a constant loop

Post by meggienotts »

Thanks everyone for your help. I will ask an IT expert to help me, as I don't want to risk changing anything in case I mess things up. He is coming this weekend.