Recovering Keystrokes for writing blind

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Ben1968

Recovering Keystrokes for writing blind

Post by Ben1968 »

Hi Everyone,
I was writing with the screen off as a writing practice so that I can write more freely. Normally it's okay but this time when I turned the screen back on it hadn't written what I wrote. I don't know what happened but I had typed for a significant amount of time for nothing it seems. So before turning my computer off I was wondering if anyone knows where the keystrokes may be stored in memory or a screen buffer or something like that? I'm not very knowledgeable about that kind of thing so I was hoping for a quick response here. Hope someone can help.
Kind regards,
Ben

I'm using Open office Apache 4.1.2 on Windows 7 PC
Open Office Apache 4.1.2
Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Re: Recovering Keystrokes for writing blind

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I don't think there is such buffer.
A window from another application may have stolen the focus (or you may have triggered that by typing an unwanted shortcut). In this case, AOO was no more "listening" and nothing was recorded.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Ben1968

Post by Ben1968 »

Thank you for responding. I guess its gone forever and I'll have to rewrite it.
Open Office Apache 4.1.2
Windows Vista
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You could install a keystroke logger which stores each keystroke. Be careful if others use the PC - it's probably illegal to record their keystrokes without their knowledge.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.