[Solved] I cannot get OpenOffice to install

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Newbie-Margie

[Solved] I cannot get OpenOffice to install

Post by Newbie-Margie »

I purged Libre (tried using it, did not like it) and successfully downloaded OpenOffice. It is on my computer - someplace. I found the lengthy and informative post on installation on Cinnamon 20. I tried the steps. It did not work. I am not sure what I did wrpng

Using Linux 21.1, Cinnamon Mint HelP!!
:crazy:
Last edited by robleyd on Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]. Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1 - install on Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.1 (64 bit)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: I cannot get OpenOffice to install

Post by Zizi64 »

I suggest you to reinstall the LibreOffice. The AOO is a dead project. You will have many incompatibility problem when you use the OpenOffice.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I found the lengthy and informative post on installation on Cinnamon 20
Perhaps you could share a link to it so we know what was suggested?
I tried the steps. It did not work
Did not work doesn't tell us anything useful about what happened. What did you do and what happened when you did it?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See this tutorial in this forum: [Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux.

However, as said by Zizi64, better use LO. It is almost the same so if you don't like it, you may not like AOO as well. If it's the interface that troubles you, try to play with the options in the View > User interface menu (not available in the Start center, you have to launch a component Writer, Calc, or something else).

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Did you follow RoryOF's guide in https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 6&t=102992?

You may encounter an error
Note that there is a newer version now, which means that the downloaded file will have a different name.
When you copy the entire command line starting with tar vxf, you need to change the version number in the file name. You could also try to copy the opening section of the line:

Code: Select all

tar vxf Apache_OpenOffice_
Paste that on the command line and hit the tab key, and the command interpreter should suggest a matching file name. If that ends with .tar.gz, just hit enter.
After that, following the rest of Rory's guidelines should take you "home free".
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Newbie-Margie wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:07 am I purged Libre (tried using it, did not like it) and successfully downloaded OpenOffice. It is on my computer - someplace. I found the lengthy and informative post on installation on Cinnamon 20. I tried the steps. It did not work. I am not sure what I did wrpng

Using Linux 21.1, Cinnamon Mint HelP!!
:crazy:
If you are new to Linux, the deal is similar to Apple's iPhones/iPads. Don't install 3rd-party software! Simply use what is pre-installed and add what you find in the "App Store". Since 12 years by now, the pre-installed LibreOffice is the new OpenOffice. See https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/.
There are several ways to install 3rd-party software that is not included in Ubuntu's software repository. Integration of 3rd-party software requires a bit more than download and double-click, therefore you must not be a newbie.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

That being said, the tutorial is pretty straight forward, I used to do that every 6 months when replacing AOO b LO before I switched to LO.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Here are the instructions to install OpenOffice on a linux deb distro

Change to your Download directory, to which you have downloaded the tar file. Then

tar vxf the_full_name_of_the_file.tar.gz.
this will unpack the file into a folder with name something like en-US in the downloads folder.
Change into that folder, then into DEBS folder in it
then

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Do not omit the desktop integration part.

Note that caps are important in linux, and en-US may be en-GB or some other English variant.

Remember that there are two instances of sudo dpkg -i *.deb. Make sure you use full stops, not commas.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Newbie-Margie

Post by Newbie-Margie »

I have used Open Office for many years. It does what I want. I tried Libre, could not even get the program to format a document, looked for a help index, couldn't find any help, fought with it for over an hour and gave up
I will try the suggestions. Appreciate your time and assistance
Newbie-Margie

Post by Newbie-Margie »

The trick was to reinstall the program. I may have done something wrong on the first try to install. OpenOffice has now successfully loaded and I can use my preferred program, which I know and love. Thank you all!