Default Save Format

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
jonesb

Default Save Format

Post by jonesb »

Hi:

I am a "newby" and have been driven to OO because Microsoft has disabled my trusty WINWORD.EXE as part of their thrust to MS365. As well they eliminated my on board MS Office 2019 which was purchased. I do not want all my stuff in the cloud either. Standard PC running Windows 10.

So here I am. So far I like what I see and it looks like OO will do everything I had been doing before with MS Office - faster and with less frustration. I hated those huge ribbons of options which came with their later suites.

My question is easy and basic.

Can OO be operated to always use the old doc, xls and ppt extensions formerly used by Microsoft? In all aspects: loading an existing file by double click; creating new; opening; saving; saving as; etc. I do not want to see the OO extensions such as odt, odg, etc. at all and when I see them now, I need to select another format from a list. I just want the latest MS Office type by default every time.

I have clicked the 8 boxes under Tools / Options / Open Office / Load-Save / Microsoft Office but I still see the default odts, etc.

How do I make the defaults: doc; xls; and ppt?

Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.13
Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Very New User - Save Functions

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

What you want is in Tools / Options / Open Office / Load-Save / General -> Always save as.
For the file association, this is handled by the OS. see [Tutorial] Setting the default program to open files.

However, if you want to use former (and deprecated) MS Office format, use MS Office. By using AOO (or even LibreOffice, which has better compatibility with MS Office formats), you'll end up losing time and energy due to the glitches coming from the import/export filters.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

To start at the beginning: As you seem hell-bent on using Microsoft Office format files (not a good idea at all by the way) you would be better of installing LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. LibreOffice has better support for Microsoft Office files, though it is not perfect it is a fair step above OpenOffice in this respect. For some details on why you should prefer LibreOffice see this thread: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
detroitlibertyp

Re: Default Save Format

Post by detroitlibertyp »

With all do respect, don't use Microsoft Office ever. Embrace the freedom of OpenOffice. If there is a reason you need to use .doc than go for it. The compatibly issues may come, but that's just an opportunity to promote Free Software and tell your comrades about why you refuse to use user subjecting non-free software anymore.

Next step, install GNU/Linux
Windows 10 X-OpenOffice 4.1.13_rev5
detroitlibertyp

As far as getting what you want, which is just default in Windows, your easiest option is probably to right click the icon of a document you want choose OPEN WITH... from the menu and pick the appropriate OOo program. From there you autos see a check box saying SET AS DEFAULT or something similar, its all gravy baby.
detroitlibertyp

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Someone'a first post to the forum asking how she can access the files she already has doesn't make her"hell-bent." I know you've been around a long time and its probably hard to stay friendly with newbs, but come on mate.
LastUnicorn wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:06 pm To start at the beginning: As you seem hell-bent on using Microsoft Office format files (not a good idea at all by the way) you would be better of installing LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. LibreOffice has better support for Microsoft Office files, though it is not perfect it is a fair step above OpenOffice in this respect. For some details on why you should prefer LibreOffice see this thread: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

There is no intention to offend of any kind — I think you are being oversensitive. If the mods agree with you then they are welcome to delete my post.
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I agree that OP is rather hell-bent on the requirement. Several strong emphasis that it needs to be that old format, nothing else.

I'm not sure talking "all gravy baby" will make you friends too. It sounds quite patronizing. And the free software promotion also BTW. The core issue is not with the software but with the file format interoperability. You can't deny people the right to make money with applications as long as they meet users/customers requirements. Locking them in through a nasty file format is another story.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10